Offer accepted, and now I’m questioning every compromise

The commute and monthly budget were always the main constraints, and now that the decision is real I’m questioning whether we allowed enough room for both. Our offer of €437,000 on a 2-bed coastal home in Dublin has been accepted after months of searching.

I keep switching between concerns that can be checked and compromises that are mostly personal preference. The dated rooms can wait, for example, but inspection findings, moving costs and the first mortgage payment cannot be brushed aside. For anyone who had this reaction after acceptance, which facts helped you tell ordinary nerves from a purchase that was genuinely too stretched?
 
The sudden doubt is understandable because the search has turned into a real financial commitment. I’d test the numbers rather than the feeling: after moving costs and the first mortgage payment, is there still an emergency fund? Then separate dated décor from immediate repairs. Rooms can wait; urgent work cannot.
 
Is there a service charge, and have you allowed for insurance and its excess? With a coastal home, I’d also pay close attention to anything relevant that appears in the inspection findings. Those ongoing or hard-to-delay costs matter more than whether you can furnish every room immediately.
 
I wouldn’t automatically dismiss this as ordinary buyer nerves. If the commute already felt like a major compromise and the monthly payment only works when nothing unexpected happens, the discomfort may be useful.

Write two budgets: one including known moving costs, immediate repairs and the first payment, and another with a reasonable setback. If either empties the emergency fund, reconsider before becoming more committed. If both work, postpone furniture and decorating until your cash position settles.
 
Back
Top