Offer 4% below asking on Hong Kong student housing?

alba_lending

Property investor
I’m considering a student-housing property in Hong Kong listed at HK$10,610,000. It has been available for 86 days and needs updating. Asking-price comparables are close, but I can’t verify enough completed sales to establish the real clearing price.

Would opening 4% below asking be sensible? Our financing is solid and we can offer a flexible completion date. I want to explain the offer without antagonising the seller, while keeping essential protection around inspection, financing, appraisal and the deposit.
 
Four percent below does not sound inherently aggressive after 86 days, particularly if updating is needed. Keep the explanation short: price reflects condition and the limited completed-sale evidence, while financing proof and flexible completion make the offer reliable. I would not waive inspection or financing protection merely to soften the price.
 
Is it vacant, occupied, or being sold with existing student arrangements? That could affect both the seller’s preferred timing and your valuation. I would also want to know whether the quoted comparables match its actual use and condition rather than just being nearby properties with similar asking prices.
 
I wouldn’t submit a long defence of the number. Too much explanation can invite an argument over every sentence. State the offer, show that you can proceed, offer flexibility on completion, and ask the agent what matters most to the seller besides price.
 
One caveat: 86 days alone does not prove the listing is overpriced. The seller might simply be patient. Still, a 4% opening leaves room for a counter and is hardly an insult if presented as a complete, credible offer rather than a fishing expedition.
 
Give the offer a clear response deadline, but not one so short that it feels theatrical. The useful purpose is to stop it sitting indefinitely while you remain exposed to changing circumstances. Your representative can advise what timing is normal for this transaction.
 
Agreed with victor that days listed are context, not valuation evidence. Completed comparables would carry more weight than nearby asking prices. If those remain unavailable, the property’s condition and your maximum acceptable yield become more important in setting a ceiling.
 
The appraisal gap deserves its own decision before you offer. If the lender values it below the agreed price, how much additional cash could you contribute without damaging the economics? Financing approval and valuation are related, but they are not necessarily the same risk.
 
On inspection, avoid treating “needs updating” as if it covers every defect. Cosmetic work is one thing; findings that materially change cost or usability are another. Preserve a route to investigate first, then decide whether to seek a repair credit, renegotiate or walk away.
 
Also pin down when the deposit becomes exposed and under what conditions it can be returned. That is jurisdiction- and contract-specific, so have the Hong Kong transaction documents reviewed before signing. A low headline offer is not a saving if the exit terms create disproportionate risk.
 
I would not ask for a 4% reduction and speculative repair credits at the same time. Offer based on the visible condition now. If inspection later reveals something beyond the updating already reflected in your price, support a separate request with the findings.
 
Possible wording: “The offer reflects the present condition and the limited completed-sale evidence available to us. We can demonstrate financing readiness and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing, subject to the stated protections.” Calm, factual and no accusation that the seller priced it badly.
 
Since this is being considered as student housing, what rent, occupancy assumptions and recurring costs support your price? Even a successful 4% negotiation can be poor value if the projected yield depends on optimistic occupancy or ignores substantial updating costs.
 
The contingencies and deposit mechanics should be drafted for Hong Kong rather than copied from an overseas offer template. Inspection scope, financing, valuation and completion obligations can interact. Decide your commercial limits first, then have the actual wording handled locally.
 
Financing proof can strengthen the offer without disclosing every detail of your finances to the seller. Ask what evidence is genuinely needed to establish that you can complete, and provide it through the appropriate channel. “Clean” should mean credible and organised, not unprotected.
 
Completion flexibility may be more valuable than another small price movement if the seller has a timing issue. Ask whether they want speed, extra time or certainty. Don’t assume faster is always better; your flexibility is only useful once you know what problem it solves.
 
smallvictory_aya’s sequencing makes sense. Price the known condition into the initial offer, but don’t promise in advance to absorb unknown defects. Otherwise an inspection contingency exists on paper while you have already surrendered its practical value.
 
On the deadline, I’d make it firm but easy to extend deliberately. If the seller says they need more time, you can choose whether to agree. That is better than an open-ended offer, though I would avoid using expiry as pressure when you have no competing option lined up.
 
Try separating the negotiation range from the repair budget. Work out your maximum purchase price, then reserve a realistic amount for updating. If the seller counters near asking, you will know whether accepting would consume money that the property itself still needs.
 
Set a walk-away figure before hearing the counter. A seller moving only slightly can feel like progress and tempt you upward, but the relevant number is the total cost and resulting yield—not how much each side has “won” from the asking price.
 
Back
Top