October 2025 London student housing: variation or an early market shift?

makeTheCanvas

Property investor
Established
First time looking seriously at London student housing, so I have avoided the citywide average and tracked a narrower group priced from £636,500 to £954,700. In October 2025 the current marketing period is roughly 44 days. There are more listings, but not many I would actually buy, and property tax changes the calculation more than the headline monthly cost. Does this look like ordinary property-level variation, or the start of a change in this segment?
 
I would not call a shift from 44 days alone. The extra listings could reflect weaker demand, but they could also be poorer-condition stock or optimistic sellers. How many recent completed sales are genuinely comparable, and are older listings selling after cuts or simply being withdrawn? Those details would tell you more than the active-listing count.
 
I agree that completed sales matter, but waiting for them can hide an early change because they reflect deals agreed earlier. I’d split the sample by tight neighbourhood boundaries and condition, then record new listings, withdrawal dates and when price cuts appear. Also note whether each seller seems motivated and whether the property is likely to suit financed buyers. If only compromised properties linger, it is variation; if similar good stock starts cutting, that is more meaningful.
 
Back
Top