New York new-build at $1.135m: what costs am I missing?

GoodSignal

First-time buyer
Established
Founding Member
$1,135,000 is the headline price, but I do not yet know what the buyer would actually need at closing or during the first year. The property is described as a new-build flat in New York, and I am also unclear whether the legal interest is a condominium, co-op or something else.

The early estimate mentions transaction tax, professional work and filing charges, but it does not clearly allocate developer costs, building charges or ongoing property expenses. As an overseas buyer, I also need advice on residency, eventual capital-gains treatment and inheritance consequences. What documents and itemised figures should I request before relying on the estimate?
 
The first missing fact is whether this is a condominium or a co-op. “Flat” describes the home but not the legal interest, and that distinction can change the approval process, financing, documents and recurring charges.

Ask for an itemised buyer estimate tied to the actual contract, not a generic percentage. For a new build, also ask which transaction and building-related costs the contract assigns to the buyer.
 
Good point. It is being marketed as a condominium, not a co-op. I only have the headline price and an early estimate so far; I have not seen a contract-level breakdown of buyer versus developer costs.

I’ll request that, plus the projected common charges and property-tax treatment. Should I keep the ownership and inheritance discussion separate from the closing-cost review, or ask the same lawyer to coordinate both?
 
Start with the same lawyer so nothing conflicts, but don’t assume one person covers every cross-border issue. Ask who is advising on US federal matters, New York matters and your home-country treatment, and whether they coordinate. Title form, estate planning, residency and eventual capital-gains treatment can interact even though they are not all closing costs.
 
Using the same lawyer to coordinate everything sounds sensible, but I would hesitate to combine estate planning with the amount needed on closing day. Both matter, yet putting future contingencies into the acquisition total makes it difficult to see whether the immediate budget is complete.

I would separate the figures into closing, annual ownership, and events such as a sale, rental, death or change of tax residence. Mark each item as confirmed, estimated or awaiting cross-border advice. The proposed ownership name or structure deserves attention first because it may be much harder to change after completion than an inaccurate budget line.
 
Also request the condominium’s offering material, current budget and a schedule showing what the quoted common charges include. A low-looking monthly figure is not useful if major services or assessments sit outside it.

For the legal estimate, ask whether searches, title-related charges, filing or registration, lender costs if applicable, and notary or document-execution expenses are included. Don’t add them twice merely because different countries use different labels.
 
Before committing, send the professionals one written fact sheet: purchase price of $1,135,000, condominium, new build, intended use, cash or financed, expected holding period, citizenship and tax-residency countries, and proposed ownership name or entity. Those answers affect which questions are relevant.

Then ask for two outputs: an itemised amount needed to close, with uncertain items marked, and a separate annual/exit/estate issues list. That should expose gaps without pretending every future tax can be calculated now.
 
Back
Top