New York coastal rental at $530,000 and $3,418 rent — do the numbers hold up?

atlas.slow

Property manager
Established
Before I spend more time pursuing this purchase, I need to decide whether the apparent return compensates for the coastal exposure. The property is a three-bedroom New York home priced at $530,000, with projected rent of $3,418 a month. On the surface that is about a 7.7% gross yield.

The price and rent look workable, but the conclusion changes quickly if the rent estimate is optimistic or if financing, insurance, taxes and major coastal maintenance cost more than expected. I have allowed for management, empty periods, ordinary upkeep and a larger repair, though those assumptions still need testing against the specific property.

Which inputs would you verify first? I am particularly interested in how others would stress-test the $3,418 rent, vacancy allowance and maintenance reserve before deciding whether the remaining net return is sufficient.
 
Insurance would be my first concern for a coastal property, followed closely by property tax. Don’t model either from a generic percentage: get an address-specific insurance quote and the actual current tax bill, then ask what could change after purchase. At $41,016 annual gross rent, those two items can consume a meaningful part of the apparent spread before management, vacancy or repairs.
 
How was the very specific $3,418 figure established? Is it supported by comparable annual leases, or is it an average that assumes stronger seasonal months? Also clarify whether tenants or the owner pay utilities. If nearby supply is increasing, I’d run both lower rent and longer vacancy together rather than treating them as separate risks.
 
I wouldn’t automatically make insurance the decisive issue without seeing the location and quote. Tenant turnover may be the quieter budget problem: cleaning, minor repairs, leasing costs and an empty period can arrive together. A 3-bed can look stable in a spreadsheet, but one additional turnover can undo several months of projected cash flow.
 
Start by defining “net yield.” I’d calculate stabilized operating income before financing, divided by the full acquisition cost, then separately calculate cash flow after debt service. Otherwise a favorable loan structure can disguise a weak property, or expensive financing can make a reasonable property look bad. Run base, weak and severe cases using actual tax and insurance figures, reduced rent, extra vacancy and a major repair—not just a single conservative estimate.
 
For perspective, a 5% unlevered net yield on $530,000 requires about $26,500 of annual operating income. With gross rent of $41,016, that leaves only $14,516 for vacancy, tax, insurance, management, maintenance and turnover. That may be difficult for a New York coastal home. I’d want something around that level because the 7.7% gross figure does not leave a huge cushion.
 
Omar’s calculation is the useful reality check, although I wouldn’t insist on 5% without comparing alternatives and the property’s condition. At a 4% net yield, required operating income is $21,200, leaving $19,816 from scheduled rent for operating costs and vacancy. Put the verified expenses into that allowance. If they already exceed it before financing, the asking price or rent assumption needs to move.
 
Before deciding, I’d collect four things: the current tax amount, an address-specific insurance quote that reflects the coastal exposure, inspection findings for expensive components, and several genuinely comparable rentals with their time on market. Then ask the manager what one normal turnover costs in practice. Those inputs should replace broad allowances wherever possible.
 
One more sensitivity worth adding: use the actual proposed loan terms and test a higher monthly debt payment alongside the weak rental case. Keep that separate from the property’s net yield, as Leila said. A deal can produce acceptable operating income but still leave almost no spendable cash after financing and reserves. If the severe case requires perfect occupancy to cover debt, the margin is too thin for a first purchase.
 
Back
Top