New here: homeowner in Tokyo

yara.lane

Homeowner
I’ve looked at some Tokyo student-housing listings and general purchase costs, but I’m still unclear about reliable completed-sale evidence and how to account for management and renovation. I own a home here, although this is research rather than an immediate plan to buy.

I joined because I’d like to compare how different markets handle these questions. For Japan, is it more useful to work through the local board before building a cost model, or should I establish the model first and use the discussions to test its assumptions?
 
There are reasonable arguments for starting with either the model or the local board, but I would not build the numbers in isolation. Read a few local discussions first, then make a simple model that you can revise as the evidence improves.

For sale comparisons, match the location, age, condition and transaction period as closely as possible. It is also worth checking what the reported figure actually represents before relying on it. Are you considering student housing as a purchase, or using the sector mainly to learn how Japanese property analysis works?
 
Thanks. It’s mainly research for now, not an active purchase. I want to build a realistic model before looking seriously, especially around management and renovation rather than treating the advertised price as the full cost. Comparable completed sales are where I’m least confident, so I’ll begin with tightly matched properties and note where the comparison breaks down.
 
That makes sense, though I wouldn’t wait for a perfect completed-sales dataset before modelling. Student housing can be heavily affected by operating assumptions, so test several vacancy, management and repair scenarios. Keep financing comparisons separate as well; a property that looks similar on price may behave very differently once mortgage terms and transaction costs are included.
 
One caveat: cross-market comparisons can mislead if you compare headline yields or costs without matching what they include. I’d keep a Japan worksheet first, with separate lines for purchase costs, recurring management, renovation and financing, then use other countries only as context. When the research becomes purchase-specific, turn the unresolved items into questions for locally qualified legal, tax and lending professionals.
 
Back
Top