New buyer in Melbourne: where should I start?

Melbourne-specific discussion is probably the sensible starting point, although I do not want to view every buying question through one local market. I am a prospective buyer mainly looking at townhouses and still narrowing down areas, budget and tolerance for renovation.

My immediate questions concern transaction costs and how to compare sale results with current advertising. After that, I expect mortgage comparisons and first-purchase discussions to be more useful; investment modelling can wait unless my plans change.

Would you begin with a small set of completed townhouse sales in the areas under consideration, or settle the budget and finance range first? For example, a cheaper property needing substantial work may not belong in the same comparison as one ready to occupy.
 
Welcome, Jonas. I’d start on the local board, then build your own small table of comparable completed sales rather than relying on advertised prices alone. Keep townhouses separate from other property types and note differences in location, condition and sale timing. That gives you a useful base before moving into mortgage comparisons or investment modelling.
 
Are you narrowing this to particular Melbourne areas and a rough budget, or still learning the whole market? Without those boundaries, even good sales data can become noise. Also decide whether renovation potential matters to you, because a cheaper townhouse needing work is not directly comparable with one ready to occupy.
 
That’s fair, although I wouldn’t narrow too aggressively at the start. Looking at a few neighbouring areas can reveal whether the premium is tied to the location or simply the individual property. The important thing is to record why each comparison may be imperfect, not pretend every townhouse is equivalent.
 
A practical sequence: read recent local threads, collect a manageable set of completed sales, estimate transaction and renovation costs separately, and compare mortgage scenarios using the same assumptions. Once a property becomes a serious candidate, move from broad research to the relevant legal and property-document questions. Cross-market discussion is useful for methods, but Melbourne-specific costs and processes still need local confirmation.
 
Back
Top