I’m comparing a Nairobi new-build flat with alternatives in cheaper markets. The Nairobi option has a modest current yield, but employment and transport fundamentals look stronger; the higher-yield alternatives produce more cash now but seem less liquid.
My concern is turning “future appreciation” into an excuse for weak numbers. I’m considering requiring a minimum cash return after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance, property tax and financing costs, then assigning no value to growth when deciding whether to buy. How would others structure that test, especially if borrowing costs move?
Also, please distinguish Kenyan legal or tax requirements that need local verification from personal choices such as reserve size and acceptable yield.
My concern is turning “future appreciation” into an excuse for weak numbers. I’m considering requiring a minimum cash return after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance, property tax and financing costs, then assigning no value to growth when deciding whether to buy. How would others structure that test, especially if borrowing costs move?
Also, please distinguish Kenyan legal or tax requirements that need local verification from personal choices such as reserve size and acceptable yield.