MX$414,000 left after closing on a MX$3,150,000 villa — enough buffer?

ames.ford

First-time buyer
I do not think the whole MX$414,000 should be treated as a comfortable buffer. Some of it is already spoken for even if the exact bills are not known yet.

The property is a 1-bed villa in Mexico City costing about MX$3,150,000, and MX$414,000 is what I expect to retain once the deposit and estimated purchase expenses are paid. I still need room for the move, the first payment cycle, service costs, an insurance claim contribution and any work identified by the inspection.

My inclination is to protect the emergency reserve first, price the move and urgent repairs, and postpone most furniture. If those fixed needs leave very little untouched cash, I would rather lower my purchase budget. Is there anything else that should be reserved before deciding whether this amount is adequate?
 
I’d set the emergency fund first, based on several months of your essential household costs after the purchase, rather than dividing MX$414,000 into percentages immediately. Keep that amount untouched. From the balance, reserve for moving and inspection-identified work; furniture comes last and can be bought gradually.
 
Does the MX$414,000 figure already account for the gap between closing and your first mortgage payment, plus any service charge due on handover? Also, will your regular income continue normally through the move? Those details could make the same cash balance either comfortable or tight.
 
I wouldn’t allocate the repair portion before seeing the inspection. There’s a big difference between cosmetic first-year jobs and something that needs attention before moving in. If the report identifies costly work, the answer may be to renegotiate your plan or walk away, not simply shrink the emergency fund.
 
I’m slightly less cautious about furniture than Tariq: a bare home can create lots of small, unplanned purchases. Still, make a room-by-room essentials list rather than a general furniture budget. Bed, basic lighting and somewhere to eat may be immediate; decorative pieces and matching sets are not.
 
One useful exercise is to price the move twice: a minimal version and a realistic version including packing materials, transport, utility setup and anything needed on day one. Then add the known insurance excess and any confirmed service charges. Whatever remains after those items and the protected emergency fund is your genuine repairs-and-furniture allowance.
 
Because it’s described as a villa, I’d clarify exactly which shared costs apply. Is it fully independent, or part of a development with recurring service charges and shared maintenance? The purchase price alone won’t answer that, and an ongoing charge belongs in the monthly affordability calculation rather than being treated as a one-off closing expense.
 
I’d also separate cash-flow timing from true emergencies. The first mortgage payment is predictable, so reserve it in advance if necessary, but don’t count it as part of the emergency fund. Once you have the inspection report, confirmed recurring charges and realistic moving quotes, compare the remaining untouched cash with your normal monthly essentials. If that comparison feels strained, buying below MX$3,150,000 is the sensible lever.
 
Back
Top