Mumbai villa at ₹45,920,000: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

Our adviser flagged the complexity but stopped short of saying we should walk away. I’m building a closing-cost checklist for a Mumbai villa priced around ₹45,920,000. Transfer tax, registration and legal or notary fees are on it, but ownership restrictions, recurring property charges and the eventual capital-gains position seem less clear.

What commonly falls outside the first estimate? I’d also welcome questions to take to a licensed local professional, particularly around residency and inheritance planning rather than personal legal or tax advice.
 
I would split the estimate into three columns: costs due at purchase, annual charges, and costs or taxes triggered by a later sale or inheritance. Ask for each figure in writing, including what value it is calculated from and who must pay it. Also have the professional confirm whether there are unpaid property or community charges attached to the villa rather than assuming the seller’s estimate is complete.
 
One important fact is missing: will the buyer be treated as resident or non-resident, and will ownership be individual or through another permitted structure? Those answers could change which restrictions and filing questions matter. I would resolve that before spending too much time refining notary-cost estimates.
 
I’d go further: the smallest administrative fee is probably not where the decision turns. Ask separate local legal and tax professionals to map the whole transaction through purchase, annual ownership, sale and inheritance. Specifically ask whether any buyer-side tax withholding or reporting applies, how capital gains would be treated under your circumstances, and whether the intended inheritance plan works with the proposed title. Then compare their written scope with the adviser’s original estimate and list every item that remains conditional.
 
Back
Top