Mumbai townhouse closed after several rejected offers

photosAndThread

First-time buyer
Oddly, the rejected offers were useful. Each one forced me to distinguish between terms I could strengthen and the maximum price I was prepared to pay. After several attempts, I have completed on the Mumbai townhouse, although the document stage took longer than expected.

The temptation was to relax as soon as completion happened, but the costs arrived in a cluster: property tax, the move and possible early repairs. Keeping a repair reserve untouched now seems more important than rushing into every item noted before purchase. I also found that a task list worked better when it showed not only who was responsible, but what they were waiting for and when I should follow up.

During your final document week, where did the process slow down? I am particularly interested in lender timing, handoffs between parties and how people kept moving plans flexible while the date remained uncertain.
 
Congratulations. The underappreciated lesson is that the completion date and the date your finances feel settled are not the same thing. Tax, moving costs and early repairs can overlap. I’d keep the cash buffer intact until you have occupied the place long enough to identify which inspection findings are merely notes and which actually require action.
 
What made the document process run long: lender timing, something required from the seller, or coordination between several parties? That distinction matters. A named person beside every task helps, but it is also useful to record what that person is waiting for and the date when you should follow up.
 
There are two reasonable readings of a rejected offer: your price missed the seller’s level, or another buyer simply offered cleaner terms. Without feedback, increasing the next bid may solve the wrong problem.

I would record the price, financing, timing and protections attached to each attempt, then change only the part for which you have some evidence. That keeps the earlier offers useful without treating every rejection as a signal to pay more.
 
A practical version of your “who owns the next step” lesson would be a short list covering accepted offer through possession: task, responsible person, expected date, dependency and latest update. Include lender items and moving arrangements, but keep movers flexible until the document timing is genuinely clear. It prevents silence from being mistaken for progress.
 
I wouldn’t reserve cash only under a property-tax heading. A general post-completion fund is safer because unexpected fees, moving changes and repairs compete for the same money. Inspection findings can also be deceptive: a long report may contain mostly minor items, while one less visible issue could deserve priority. The amounts and tax timing will depend on the property and local requirements.
 
Mohammed’s caveat changes how I’d record the rejected bids: note the offer, its conditions, timing and any actual feedback, then leave unknowns marked as unknown rather than inventing a reason. For the delayed final week, I’d do something similar—separate unavoidable waiting from tasks that stalled because nobody had clear ownership. That makes the diary useful for the next purchase instead of just documenting frustration.
 
Back
Top