Mumbai seller comparing asking prices with completed deals

clear_wall

Seller
Established
I need to choose a sensible approach to the sale soon, and I am torn between relying on very local evidence and learning from methods used elsewhere. I am based in Mumbai and have mainly been looking at studios, the costs that reduce a seller’s net proceeds, and the difference between listing figures and prices actually achieved.

I would also like to understand how members use market data in investment models and what they include in a practical legal checklist. For someone new to the forum, is there a particular India discussion or source of completed-deal information that would be a useful starting point?
 
Welcome. I’d begin with the local board and look specifically for discussions that separate asking prices from registered or completed transactions. Listings are useful for understanding competing stock, but they do not prove what buyers paid. Also compare like with like: building, condition, floor, size basis, parking, and transaction date can all distort a studio comparison.
 
What decision are you trying to make: setting your initial asking price, deciding whether to accept an offer, or estimating the net amount after costs? The most useful data will differ. It would also help to know whether your comparisons are within one Mumbai neighbourhood or spread across the city.
 
I would not start by hunting for one definitive dataset. Completed-price information may be more relevant than listings, but raw records can still omit the context Diego mentioned. Build a small comparison table from several sources, record the date and price type, and leave a notes column for renovation, occupancy, amenities, and anything else that affects comparability.
 
For the seller calculation, add separate lines for every transaction cost you can verify rather than applying one unexplained percentage. Then model a few sale-price scenarios. That makes it easier to see whether a higher offer with awkward timing or conditions is actually better than a cleaner lower offer. Local legal and tax items should be confirmed for the specific property.
 
I agree with the table, though I’d keep it compact. Too many adjustments can create false precision when the underlying deals are not genuinely comparable. Start with the closest completed transactions, then use current studio listings only to show what alternatives a buyer sees today. Mortgage-comparison discussions may also explain buyer constraints, even though they will not establish your property’s value.
 
Once you have that first pass, post an anonymised version in the local board: area, broad size range, condition, asking-price range, completed comparables, and which costs are included. Remove the exact address and personal details. Members can then challenge specific assumptions instead of guessing. The renovation and property-management sections may help too if you are weighing work before sale or holding the property longer.
 
Back
Top