Mortgage quote in Spain: 6.96% fixed for 20 years? (2 bed)

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
A revised quote has raised a different question for me. On a Madrid purchase of roughly €386,400, I now have an offer at 6.96% fixed for 20 years, but its fees and applicable lending tier make the monthly affordability less attractive than the headline suggested.

Should I compare offers over the period I am likely to keep this loan rather than the full term? I can absorb some upfront cost, but restrictive early-repayment or portability terms would be harder to undo if I move or refinance. How would you lay out that comparison?
 
You have checked the fixed rate and headline fees; the uncertain part is how long the loan will actually remain in place. Run the figures to two or three plausible exit dates, including payments, compulsory recurring charges, upfront costs and the balance still owed at each date.

Then check the early-repayment terms separately. APR can narrow the field, but that scenario table will show which offer suits your likely timeline.
 
What loan amount and loan-to-value tier does the 6.96% quote assume? The €386,400 purchase price alone isn’t enough to compare it. Also check whether the advertised rate depends on taking other products. Two offers can display similar rates while requiring quite different cash at completion and each month.
 
That is exactly where my comparison went wrong: I was looking at the advertised headline before lining it up with the applicable loan-to-value tier and arrangement fees. I haven’t settled on a holding period either, so I’ll run more than one scenario rather than assuming I keep the same loan for all 20 years. I’ll also separate the mortgage payment from any linked recurring costs.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the full-term comparison, though. A shorter assumed holding period can make an expensive offer look acceptable if it quietly assumes refinancing will be easy or cheap. Run both: keep it for 20 years, and repay or refinance earlier. That exposes how much of the apparent saving depends on a future rate you cannot know.
 
Monthly affordability deserves its own test. Even if one quote has the lower projected total cost, ask whether the payment leaves enough room for property expenses and an income shock. Since this is fixed for 20 years, clarify whether that is also the entire mortgage term; otherwise you need to understand what happens after the fixed period and the resulting rate-reset risk.
 
Portability would sit below price and repayment flexibility for me unless a move is genuinely likely. The important questions are whether it is guaranteed or subject to approval at the time, what happens if the next property costs more or less, and whether fees arise. Get the wording from the lender rather than assigning portability a cash value based only on the label.
 
A practical comparison table could have one column per offer and rows for: loan amount, loan-to-value tier, fixed period, monthly payment, arrangement fees, required recurring costs, balance after several possible exit dates, and the cost of early repayment at those dates. Add a 20-year total and at least one earlier exit scenario. If any fee or portability condition is unclear, request an itemised written explanation before comparing totals.
 
Back
Top