Mortgage quote in Nigeria: 7.10% fixed for 30 years on a country home

watchTheAtlas

Property investor
I want predictable monthly payments on this Lagos country home, but I do not want to pay heavily for certainty I may not need for all 30 years. The property is around NGN 1,690,000,000, and the quote under review is 7.10% fixed.

Once I included the arrangement fee and the lender’s loan-to-value pricing, the cheapest-looking option was no longer obviously cheapest. I am therefore comparing the payment schedule, fees, portability and early-repayment conditions, with no assumption that a later refinance will be available.

Would you judge the offers over the period I am likely to retain the mortgage, or give more weight to the full-term APR? Monthly affordability matters, but so does the cash needed to leave the loan early.
 
The 30-year label raises another question: how long are you genuinely likely to retain this particular mortgage? I would choose a sensible exit date and add up everything paid by then, including scheduled payments, the arrangement fee and any early-repayment cost.

APR still works as a quick screen, but it may blur the difference between a fee due now and one added to the balance. Ask each lender for an illustration showing the balance and exit charge on the same date. That gives you something concrete to compare.
 
What loan amount does the 7.10% actually cover? The purchase price alone is not enough to assess the payment because the loan-to-value tier could materially change both principal and pricing. Also ask whether the arrangement fee is paid in cash or financed. If financed, it increases the balance on which interest may be charged.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR quite so quickly. It gives you a common starting number when lenders present fees differently. The problem is relying on it alone, especially if your likely holding period differs from its assumptions. I’d request a payment schedule from each lender and compare them at the same loan amount and loan-to-value.
 
Build three columns for each quote: cash needed before completion, monthly payments, and cash needed to exit. Then calculate the remaining balance after a few plausible holding periods. That makes a low headline rate with a large arrangement fee easier to spot. Keep portability separate as a scenario, because it only has value if its conditions fit whatever property and borrowing needs you have later.
 
One point needs confirming: is 7.10% genuinely fixed for the entire 30 years, or is it a 30-year loan with a shorter initial fixed period? Those are very different exposures. If it is fixed for all 30 years, rate-reset risk during the term is not the main concern; early-repayment restrictions and long-term affordability become more important.
 
For early repayment, ask for the exact treatment of both partial overpayments and full redemption. The contract wording matters: when a charge applies, how it is calculated, and whether there are limits or specified dates. Those details can change the result if you sell or refinance early, and they may vary by lender and jurisdiction.
 
I’d put less weight on portability unless moving is a realistic possibility. A feature that sounds flexible can distract from the payment you must meet every month. At this price, I would first test affordability using the actual proposed principal, including any financed fee, and leave room for property costs outside the mortgage.
 
That’s fair, although portability can still matter even when a move is unlikely if the alternative is an expensive early exit. I’d give it no monetary value until the lender explains the conditions in writing. If approval is reassessed or the feature only works in limited circumstances, it should not justify accepting a worse core loan.
 
The clean comparison is probably a set of cash-flow snapshots: upfront, monthly, year five, year ten and full 30-year cost. Add the remaining balance and any exit charge at each earlier date. Run one version with no refinancing, since refinancing is an option rather than a certainty. Once the exact loan amount, fee treatment and fixed-period wording are known, the 7.10% quote can be compared properly.
 
Back
Top