If I misjudge the cash reserve, an affordable purchase could become uncomfortable very quickly. I am considering a 4-bed new-build flat in Montreal for about C$870,800, potentially closing in 43 days, and expect to retain around C$41,850 after the deposit and my current estimate of closing expenses.
I need a calmer order for allocating that money. How much would you ring-fence based on essential monthly spending, and how much would you allow for the move, inspection findings, the insurance excess and costs due around possession? Furniture can mostly wait, although a few essentials cannot. I would prefer to reduce or delay those purchases before weakening the emergency fund, but I am unsure what closing-cost overrun should also be kept aside.
I need a calmer order for allocating that money. How much would you ring-fence based on essential monthly spending, and how much would you allow for the move, inspection findings, the insurance excess and costs due around possession? Furniture can mostly wait, although a few essentials cannot. I would prefer to reduce or delay those purchases before weakening the emergency fund, but I am unsure what closing-cost overrun should also be kept aside.