harbor.lucky
Property investor
The Montreal duplex only makes sense to me if it produces an acceptable cash return without assuming prices will rise. Its current yield is modest beside properties in cheaper markets, although the local employment and transport picture appears stronger and the alternatives may be harder to resell.
I am inclined to calculate the duplex after financing, property tax, insurance, management, maintenance, vacancy and likely tenant turnover. Appreciation would then be upside rather than something needed to rescue the purchase. What documents or operating figures would you use to set that minimum, and how would you weigh the stronger location against the extra cash available elsewhere? I am looking for a decision test, not one percentage for every market.
I am inclined to calculate the duplex after financing, property tax, insurance, management, maintenance, vacancy and likely tenant turnover. Appreciation would then be upside rather than something needed to rescue the purchase. What documents or operating figures would you use to set that minimum, and how would you weigh the stronger location against the extra cash available elsewhere? I am looking for a decision test, not one percentage for every market.