Montreal duplex: accept a C$405 monthly shortfall or walk away?

hana.slate

Real estate agent
Established
I’m considering a 3-bed duplex in Montreal where I expect long-term demand to remain solid. Using conservative monthly rent of C$5,992 and allowing for reserves, my estimate still comes out around C$405 per month negative.

I can carry that shortfall, but the purchase seems to rely on rent or property value rising. Would you treat this as a calculated investment or an appreciation bet? What single detail would push you toward buying or passing?
 
I would pass unless it still works after a harsher vacancy and financing scenario. C$405 is the known shortfall; turnover, repairs or higher borrowing costs could make it materially worse. Long-term demand helps occupancy, but it does not guarantee the rent growth needed to rescue the numbers.
 
Is C$5,992 the gross monthly rent for the whole duplex, and does the C$405 already include vacancy, paid management, property tax and insurance? “After reserves” can mean very different things. The answer depends less on the headline shortfall than on which expenses are still outside it.
 
Negative cash flow is not automatically the same as an appreciation-only bet. Some of each mortgage payment may reduce principal, creating equity even with flat prices. I would compare that principal reduction with the C$405, but keep liquidity separate: equity on paper cannot pay for a repair or an empty unit.
 
Be careful about assuming future Montreal rent increases on your preferred schedule. Existing leases, tenant turnover and local rules can affect what is realistically achievable. The current lease situation, if any, deserves a local review before rent growth goes into the base case.
 
I disagree with making any negative number an automatic rejection. A deliberately funded C$405 monthly carrying cost could be reasonable if the property is strong, the financing is robust and the buyer has ample reserves. It becomes speculation when appreciation or aggressive rent increases are required just to remain solvent.
 
Management cost is the line people often erase by planning to do everything themselves. Your time still has value, and circumstances can change. Price professional management into the model first; choosing to self-manage later should be an upside, not what makes the purchase appear viable.
 
C$5,992 is the gross monthly rent figure for the property in the scenario, not net income. I also see that I used “after reserves” too loosely. I need to show vacancy, maintenance, management, insurance, property tax and turnover separately rather than relying on one combined result. I’ll rerun it with paid management even if I might manage it myself.
 
That separation should answer most of it. Please also test one turnover with cleaning, minor work and time without rent. A smooth twelve-month average can hide the cash needed at the worst moment.
 
The current deficit is C$4,860 a year before any omitted costs. I would run a flat-rent case and ask how many consecutive years you would willingly fund that amount. If the honest answer is only one or two, the investment horizon and the financing risk may not match.
 
For the rerun, use the actual property-tax amount, a property-specific insurance quote and a maintenance allowance tied to the building’s condition. If there are tenants, examine the existing lease terms and payment history. Small optimistic assumptions across several rows can easily overwhelm C$405.
 
If optimistic rent growth is still required after those reruns, I’d pass. A good location does not fix weak liquidity.
 
Add a financing case with less favorable terms too. The deal may be manageable at C$405 negative today yet uncomfortable if debt costs rise while rent remains flat. I would want enough room that refinancing does not force a sale at an inconvenient time.
 
I’d focus on whether the maintenance reserve reflects this particular duplex rather than a generic percentage. Near-term work and tenant turnover can arrive together. A reserve that looks adequate as a monthly average may still be inadequate as cash on hand.
 
Build three versions: flat rent with a turnover event, your conservative base case, and an upside case. Include management and a realistic maintenance event in the first two. I would buy only if the flat case remains tolerable without reducing emergency savings or depending on a sale.
 
The revised flat-rent case is the decision-maker. If C$405 is truly the downside after every realistic expense and you can fund it comfortably, it may be calculated. If C$405 is merely the starting deficit, negotiate harder or walk.
 
Back
Top