Montreal country homes: seasonal shift or buyer selectivity in May 2026?

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
Maybe this is ordinary spring seasonality, but I keep hearing conflicting explanations. In the May 2026 Montreal data I’m following, well-presented country homes appear to be moving in roughly 91 days, while properties needing work remain available longer. I’m also seeing a gap close to 6.3% between asking prices and completed deals.

Does that point to buyers becoming more selective, or is the sample too seasonal to say? Completed transactions and direct local observations would be especially helpful. Please distinguish the neighbourhoods or surrounding areas you follow from citywide Montreal headlines.
 
Selectivity is plausible, but the 6.3% figure needs a clearer denominator. Is it the difference between the final asking price and sale price for matched properties, or between average asking and average sold prices across two different groups? The second comparison can shift simply because the mix of homes sold changed.
 
I’d also question the geographic label. A country home marketed under the broader Montreal area may sit in a very different market from a property on the island or closer to established commuter routes. How many completed sales are behind the 91-day figure, and are they concentrated in one surrounding area?
 
The May 2026 date matters too. Is this a full-month snapshot, an early release, or data later revised? Spring listings can raise inventory before the corresponding sales close, making the market temporarily look softer. I wouldn’t call it a trend until the same matched-sale method is applied across several months, with transaction volume shown alongside days on market.
 
I’m not convinced that 91 days for the polished homes proves buyers are rewarding presentation. Those properties may also have been priced more realistically from day one. Meanwhile, a home needing work can have a stubborn seller and several price reductions, so condition, initial pricing and seller expectations are tangled together.
 
A practical way to untangle it would be to track each completed deal by original ask, final ask, sold price, listing date, relisting history and broad sub-area. Keep renovated and work-needed homes separate. Also note whether any financing or policy timing overlaps the period, without assuming it caused the change. That would expose whether the 6.3% gap comes from negotiation, stale listings or a changing sales mix.
 
Agreed on tracking relistings. They can make days-on-market comparisons especially misleading if the count restarts. I’d add withdrawn listings as a separate column rather than treating them as unsold forever. If mmoreau can share the sample size and whether 91 days is a median or an average, the seasonal-versus-selective question becomes much easier to assess.
 
Back
Top