Mixed-use building versus warehouse in Vancouver: the real ownership trade-offs (need advice)

hearth.able

Property investor
These two properties concentrate risk in different places. My specific concern is whether the mixed-use building’s shared obligations are more manageable than taking full responsibility for a warehouse.

Both options are around 2,260 sq ft and similarly priced. I have compared financing, insurance, energy consumption and likely resale, but tenant demand and the cost of carrying a vacancy are harder to judge. For the mixed-use option I need details of reserve contributions, management arrangements and planned common work; for the warehouse I need the condition and remaining life of the roof, services and heating. What records, inspections and vacancy assumptions would you put side by side before choosing?
 
One distinction I’m trying to understand is how much the answer changes if the mixed-use unit shares major building costs while the warehouse owner controls the whole envelope and services. Would you compare reserve contributions with a separate repair allowance, or treat them as fundamentally different risks? I also wonder which property would be harder to carry vacant.
 
Treat them as different risk structures. Shared costs may be more regular, but you have less control over timing and priorities. With the warehouse, you decide when work happens, yet one roof, heating or service issue can land entirely on you.

For vacancy, model the full monthly carrying cost and a realistic re-leasing period for each use. Tenant demand matters more than a small difference in routine maintenance.
 
I’d be careful with the assumption that mixed-use is automatically simpler. It can mean more coordination over access, noise, deliveries, insurance responsibilities and repairs affecting different occupants. The warehouse may be operationally straightforward even if its occasional bills are larger.

Are both properties being sold with vacant possession, and do you know whether either use would require near-term upgrades for the tenant you expect to attract?
 
Before choosing, I’d build two separate five-year cash-flow scenarios rather than one comparison table: normal occupancy, then an adverse case with vacancy plus a major repair in the same year.

For the shared building, examine the reserve balance, planned work, recent spending and how costs are allocated. For the warehouse, inspect the roof, drainage, heating, electrical capacity, loading arrangements and exterior condition. Then request insurance indications based on the actual property and intended occupancy, not just the purchase price. Resale liquidity should also be tested against the likely buyer pool for each layout and use.
 
Gabriel’s point changes the emphasis: maintenance frequency is not the same as management simplicity. I’d price the expected tenant fit before deciding which physical asset looks easier. A property needing fewer repairs can still consume more time if access, mixed occupancies or shared decisions create friction. Camila, comparing the adverse five-year scenarios should show whether you prefer predictable shared obligations or control with lumpier exposure.
 
Back
Top