Milan condo at €920,000: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

teaAndOak

Property investor
I’m building a full cost checklist for a Milan condo priced around €920,000. Transfer tax, registration and notary/legal fees are the obvious lines, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, recurring property and condominium charges, and how residency could change the picture.

Before proceeding, I also want to understand capital-gains treatment on a later sale and whether the ownership structure creates inheritance complications. Which questions should I put to a licensed local professional, and which costs are commonly absent from the first estimate?
 
Start by giving the professional the facts that generic estimates usually omit: whether this would be a primary or second home, your tax residency, whether you are buying personally or through another structure, and how long you expect to hold it. Those answers may affect several lines, so I would not accept a single percentage estimate without assumptions.

For the condo itself, request the current annual charges, approved or proposed major works, and clarification of how any outstanding amounts are handled at completion. Ask the notary for an itemised estimate rather than one combined figure. Capital gains and inheritance also need to be considered alongside the rules in your country of residence, not just Italy.
 
Back
Top