Milan 1-bed at €414,000 and €2,959/month — does the yield hold up?

kit.snow

Landlord
I would like the Milan apartment to work as a straightforward rental, but the rent assumption may belong to a different type of letting. The price is €414,000 and the projected €2,959 monthly rent gives the quoted gross yield of about 8.6% for this 1-bed.

Before relying on that figure, I want to confirm whether the rent comes from a conventional tenancy, a furnished medium-term arrangement or frequent short stays. I would then test vacancy, insurance, condominium charges, management and the extra wear from tenant changes. Which Milan-specific expense deserves the closest check, and what return after those items would compensate you for the regulatory and letting risk?
 
The 8.6% arithmetic works, but the rent assumption matters far more than another percentage point of expenses. Is €2,959 based on a conventional tenancy, furnished medium-term letting or short stays? Those are different businesses with different turnover, management and regulatory exposure. I’d also want the exact condominium charges and clarity on which portions, if any, the tenant is expected to cover.
 
Don’t forget the purchase costs when judging the return on your total capital. They won’t appear in the broker’s gross yield because that uses only the €414,000 price. Property tax treatment, insurance and tax on rental income also depend on your circumstances, so I would have an Italian adviser calculate those rather than insert generic percentages.
 
I partly disagree with folding every acquisition cost into “net yield.” It is useful to show a property-level net yield separately so you can compare operations. Then show return on total cash invested, including purchase and financing costs. Combining them into one number can hide whether the apartment itself is weak or the transaction structure is expensive.
 
The regulation concern needs to be attached to a specific rental strategy. If the €2,959 relies on frequent furnished turnover, test the deal at a lower long-term rent as well as with more vacancy and management. A legally available strategy today may still carry policy and enforcement uncertainty in Milan, so I would not value the optimistic case as though it were guaranteed.
 
I’d run three cases rather than debate one net yield: full expected rent, a reduced-rent case, and a case with both lower rent and an unexpected building contribution. Include tenant turnover costs explicitly instead of burying them in routine maintenance. If modest changes push cash flow close to zero, the headline 8.6% is not compensating you for much.
 
What does “building looks sound” mean here? Visual condition is not enough if the condominium is considering roof, façade, lift or shared-system work. Your private repair reserve may not cover a large contribution for common areas. I’d want recent actual charges and information on planned works before settling on any acceptable net yield.
 
Zoe’s point is probably the Milan-specific cost most easily missed: owner-paid condominium expenses and extraordinary works. I’d also ask the broker to support €2,959 with comparable achieved rents, not asking rents. At that level, one-bed tenant turnover could be more important than a standard annual vacancy allowance suggests.
 
And financing can reverse the conclusion. Model the actual loan payment and then stress both the interest cost and rent, while keeping the repair reserve intact. A respectable unlevered net yield does not necessarily produce safe cash flow with debt. Personally, I would want around 5% net before financing to consider this risk profile, but that is a preference, not a Milan rule.
 
Five percent net may be too blunt. A conventional tenancy with supported rent and limited turnover could justify less for some buyers; a management-heavy furnished strategy should require more. The useful next step is to reconcile every euro from €2,959 gross rent to annual cash flow, then repeat using a defensible lower rent. If the broker cannot explain the tenancy model behind the figure, pause.
 
I would also separate recoverable tenant charges from costs that remain yours, rather than assuming all condominium expenses sit on one side. Local treatment and the contract matter. Before proceeding, get the rent basis, current building charges, planned common works, insurance quote, tax estimate and financing terms into the same model. Then compare net yield on price, return on total cash, and cash flow after debt.
 
Back
Top