Miami apartments: is the 5.0% movement mainly a financing story?

porch.direct

Property investor
Established
I’m comparing Miami apartments listed from $396,000 to $594,000. The snapshot shows 5.0% downward movement and roughly 83 days on market, but the likely negotiated discount seems to vary sharply with condition.

My working view is that financing costs are creating more of that spread than headline buyer demand. Would you treat 83 days as meaningful leverage, or first separate recent completed sales, withdrawn listings and relisted stock? Miami examples are most useful, but comparisons elsewhere in the United States are welcome—please name the neighbourhood and property type.
 
For Brickell condos, I would not treat 83 days alone as evidence of leverage. A clean unit priced close to recent completed sales is a different proposition from one needing substantial work. Also, does that figure measure the current listing period only, or does it include earlier listings that were withdrawn and returned? That distinction could change the interpretation.
 
I’d start with price-cut timing. An apartment sitting for 83 days after one meaningful early reduction tells a different story from a seller making tiny reductions every few weeks. Compare the final asking price with completed sales in the same building where possible; broad neighbourhood comparisons can hide differences in condition, floor and layout.
 
I’m not convinced financing is the main driver. Seller motivation could explain just as much of the spread. One owner may need a timely sale while another is content to wait or withdraw the unit. If withdrawn stock is increasing, the completed sales may represent only the more motivated sellers rather than the whole Miami apartment market.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries matter too. “Miami” can combine very different apartment segments, and even labels such as Downtown and Brickell can be applied inconsistently near their edges. I’d split the sample by a fixed map boundary, then by condo building and condition. Otherwise the 5.0% movement may partly reflect a changing mix of listings rather than comparable units becoming cheaper.
 
Helpful points. To clarify, I’m not assuming every apartment is negotiable by 5.0%; that is the broad movement in the snapshot. I also haven’t separated withdrawn and relisted units yet, so the 83-day figure may be too blunt.

My next pass will group current listings against recent completed sales, note the date and size of each price cut, and separate move-in-ready apartments from those needing work. I’ll also keep the Miami neighbourhood boundaries fixed rather than mixing nearby areas.
 
That should make the financing argument easier to test. Add one more distinction within “needs work”: cosmetic updates versus problems that could affect a buyer’s willingness or ability to finance. Even without assuming a lending outcome, those categories attract different buyers. I’d also record whether the seller has cut the price once, repeatedly, or not at all.
 
Agreed on separating the condition categories, but don’t create so many buckets that each has only a couple of examples. A practical first table would be neighbourhood, building, current price, original price, days listed, price-cut date, condition and sale/withdrawn status. Then compare the $396,000–$594,000 listings with the closest completed sales. That will show whether financing, condition or seller motivation best explains the spread.
 
Back
Top