The constraint is simple: I do not want to fund an open-ended monthly shortfall. The Mexico City warehouses I’m reviewing are around MX$12,960,000, and the numbers go below zero after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and financing at 5.62%. Property tax and the cost of changing tenants add further pressure.
Putting in more equity would improve the cash position, but it would not make the warehouse itself earn a better operating return. Waiting preserves flexibility, while buying at the present price is much harder to reverse if rent or occupancy disappoints.
I’m leaning toward either negotiating a lower price or setting a firm limit on the equity and annual cash contribution I will accept. How would others distinguish a temporary financing problem from a property that simply does not produce enough after realistic expenses?
Putting in more equity would improve the cash position, but it would not make the warehouse itself earn a better operating return. Waiting preserves flexibility, while buying at the present price is much harder to reverse if rent or occupancy disappoints.
I’m leaning toward either negotiating a lower price or setting a firm limit on the equity and annual cash contribution I will accept. How would others distinguish a temporary financing problem from a property that simply does not produce enough after realistic expenses?