Mexico City apartments: how should I prioritise the warning signs?

ravi_wilde

Homeowner
Established
First time comparing Mexico City listings and I would appreciate help ordering my concerns. My sample is mostly apartments priced from MX$17,060,000 to MX$25,600,000, with a typical listing visible for 14 days.

I initially thought service charges might explain the difference between fast-moving and lingering properties. Other possibilities are condition, financing, seller motivation and neighbourhood boundaries. The quote I have is detailed but contains two exclusions that could become expensive later. What would you investigate first, and what street-level evidence would change your view?
 
I would start with recent completed sales and withdrawn listings, not service charges. Asking prices and days visible cannot tell you whether something sold quickly, was relisted, or simply disappeared. Fourteen days also seems early to label a listing stale without more context.

Are the two exclusions building-related, transaction-related, or work needed inside the apartment? That distinction could move them above everything else.
 
Condition may be doing more work here than the monthly charges. Two apartments can look comparable online while one needs substantial work or has less appealing light, noise or layout. Buyer financing can also narrow the pool if a property presents complications.

I would not compare across a neighbourhood name without plotting the actual streets. A boundary that looks minor on a listing search can hide a very different immediate setting.
 
Agreed on mapping the streets, although I still would not put condition first until the listing histories are clearer. Make a small table with original price, current price, first visible date, any disappearance or relisting, service charge, condition notes and whether financing is being offered. Then ask when price reductions happened. That should separate hopeful pricing from properties with a specific drawback.
 
I would deal with the quote exclusions before refining the market theory. If either exclusion is difficult to price, the apparent bargain may not be comparable with the rest of the sample at all.

After that, visit the strongest candidates at different times of day and keep comparisons within genuinely similar streets and buildings. Also ask why each seller is moving and whether the timing matters to them. Motivation will not prove the correct price, but it can explain why two otherwise similar listings are handled very differently.
 
Back
Top