Melbourne country home finally completed — lessons from the failed offers

sasha_page

Homeowner
I could either keep chasing every document myself or assume the lender and other parties had the final week under control; neither option felt comfortable. My Melbourne country-home purchase has now completed, after several unsuccessful offers and a slower paperwork stage than I expected.

The practical fix was to track each outstanding item, who owned it and when the lender needed it. I would also allow cash for late or unexpected fees rather than treating completion as the point when spending stops. A separate reserve for vacancy and repairs still matters after the keys are handed over.

The earlier offers were only informative when I could establish whether price, conditions or timing had counted against them. For those who have completed a first purchase, which overlooked cost or hand-off caused the most trouble?
 
The hand-offs after acceptance are often underestimated. A simple list of the outstanding documents, the person handling each one and the lender’s deadline can prevent the final week becoming a chain of assumptions.

Did the inspection findings affect how much you kept aside for repairs, or had you already set that reserve before making offers?
 
I’d add one caveat: rejected offers are only reliable data when you learn why they failed. Otherwise it is easy to assume price was the issue when timing or conditions may have mattered.

I’d also keep vacancy cash separate from the repair reserve so one problem cannot consume both. Whether this is owner-occupied or intended as a rental would change the sensible balance, but either way I’d map lender timing and moving arrangements before committing the remaining cash.
 
Back
Top