Market rent is now £6,045—keep a reliable tenant at £4,846?

quill.true

Property investor
Established
My tenant pays £4,846 against a local market rent of about £6,045. They pay reliably, report maintenance issues early and look after the property, so I am reluctant to risk losing them. Equally, a £1,199 gap could become difficult to close if left indefinitely.

The property is worth roughly £893,100. Would you introduce small predictable increases, keep the rent frozen, or pair a review with agreed improvements? I am particularly interested in how others weigh vacancy and turnover costs against the higher rent.
 
One addition: I am not trying to reach £6,045 in a single jump. My preference is a transparent conversation and, if justified, a gradual change. Before deciding, I plan to revisit the maintenance history and confirm the local notice rules. What other costs should go into the comparison?
 
Start with the break-even vacancy period. The gross gap is £1,199, but a replacement may mean empty time, preparation work, advertising or management costs, and uncertainty over the next tenant. Deposit handling also adds administration when a tenancy ends. I would price those items before treating £6,045 as money you are currently losing.
 
I would still increase it modestly. Reliability has value, but freezing indefinitely can turn one manageable adjustment into a future shock. Give proper notice under the local jurisdiction's rules and explain the market comparison without presenting £6,045 as an ultimatum. Predictability may matter more to the tenant than a permanent freeze.
 
I disagree slightly with using market rent as the main anchor. An advertised figure is not necessarily the amount achieved after vacancy, negotiation and any work needed between tenants. Also ask whether the current tenant's early reporting has prevented maintenance problems from becoming more expensive. That behaviour has a real, if hard-to-measure, value.
 
A practical route is to write out three scenarios: no increase, a staged increase with the current tenant, and replacement at £6,045. For each, include likely vacancy time, turnover work, payment risk and ongoing maintenance—not just headline rent. Then discuss a reasonable increase and any improvements the tenant actually values. Keep the rent discussion separate from deposit arrangements, and verify the required notice and procedure locally before putting anything in writing.
 
Back
Top