Manila mortgage quote: comparing 6.85% fixed for five years

yara_moss

First-time buyer
I can compare the loans by their five-year cash cost, but that risks ignoring an expensive reset afterward. I can also favour flexible exit terms, though paying more today for portability I may never use is not especially comfortable.

The offer is 6.85% fixed for five years on a Manila property priced at about PHP 32,190,000. Fees and the applicable loan-to-value band make the headline rate a poor comparison on its own.

My current plan is to put each lender on the same loan balance and repayment schedule, include upfront and financed fees, and total the outflow during the fixed period. Then I would test the payment at the later reset rather than assume refinancing will be available. For portability and early repayment, which wording would materially change that comparison: preservation of the existing rate, a fresh approval requirement, or a charge for leaving early?
 
For this decision, I’d compare total cash outflow over the same five-year period: repayments, upfront fees and any fees added to the loan. APR can help, but only where lenders calculate it on comparable assumptions.

What loan amount and loan-to-value tier does the quote use? Also, are the arrangement fees payable upfront or financed? Financing them changes both the balance and the interest cost.
 
I wouldn’t limit the comparison to the fixed-period total. That can make a quote look attractive while hiding the risk at the five-year reset. Check whether the monthly payment is comfortable now, then model a materially higher payment after the fixed term. Refinancing should be a possible exit, not an assumption.

Portability also needs careful reading: does it preserve the existing rate, or merely allow an application to transfer the loan subject to conditions?
 
A simple spreadsheet should settle most of it. Put each lender in three scenarios: keep the loan for five years, repay early, and continue after the rate resets. Include every stated fee and keep the loan amount and payment dates consistent.

For early repayment, compare the actual wording and charges rather than a yes/no label. Philippine lender terms can differ, so any unclear portability or reset provision is worth getting explained in writing before choosing.
 
Back
Top