Manchester market check: 9.7% movement, 10 days on market and condition

bram_sky

First-time buyer
I’m trying to work out whether Manchester stock is genuinely moving quickly or whether the headline figures are masking very different buildings. The 2-bed market check shows 9.7% movement and roughly 10 days on market. Separately, the studios I’m watching range from £168,500 to £252,700, with negotiated discounts appearing to change sharply according to condition.

My working theory is that insurance-related building costs explain more of that spread than headline demand. Does that fit what others are seeing in the United Kingdom? Please give the Manchester neighbourhood and property type, and distinguish recent completed sales from asking prices if possible.
 
One extra point: by “insurance” I mean costs affecting the flat or building, rather than assuming buyers simply dislike a particular area. It would be useful to know whether people are seeing quick price cuts, withdrawals and relistings within that 10-day window. I’m also conscious that studios and two-beds should not be treated as one comparable group.
 
I wouldn’t put insurance first without comparing units in the same building. Across Manchester, neighbourhood boundaries, floor area, condition and seller motivation can produce a wide range before building costs enter the picture. Ten days also tells you speed, not the agreed discount. Are your studios all within one part of the city centre, or is the £168,500–£252,700 range covering several distinct areas?
 
There is another problem with the 10-day figure: a listing can become unavailable quickly without reaching completion. Withdrawn stock, relisting and sales that later fall through can all make the visible market look faster than it is. Buyer financing matters too, particularly where a lender’s valuation or questions about the building delay matters after an offer has been accepted.
 
I’d separate the watchlist into studios and two-beds, then narrow it by neighbourhood and, for flats, by building. Record original asking price, first-listing date, price-cut date, condition, withdrawal or sale status, and whether the buyer appears dependent on finance where that information is available. Then compare with recent completed sales rather than treating 9.7% as applicable to every property.

Insurance-related costs may explain differences between otherwise similar flats, but they won’t reliably explain a spread that also includes different locations, sizes and conditions.
 
Agreed that completed sales are the missing anchor, although I wouldn’t dismiss the insurance theory entirely. If two similar flats in the same building behave differently, condition and seller urgency are plausible explanations; if comparable flats in different buildings diverge, recurring building costs deserve closer attention. The cleanest next step is a same-building comparison, followed by nearby buildings within a tightly defined neighbourhood—not a Manchester-wide studio average.
 
Back
Top