Manchester 5-bed at £780k and £2,277 rent: what am I missing?

SlowGrove

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
Founding Member
A 3.5% gross return leaves little margin, and my specific concern is that the building costs may consume much more of it than expected. The Manchester five-bedroom condo is priced at £780,000, with projected rent of £2,277 a month, or £27,324 a year.

I have allowed for vacancies, management, routine upkeep and a larger repair reserve, with no assumed price growth. I have not yet established the service charge, insurance split or whether major building works are anticipated. Nor do I know whether the rent assumes one tenancy or five room lets, which would change turnover and management costs.

If £2,277 is a whole-property rent, I would assess it on that basis. If it relies on separate rooms, I need a different cost model. What other local or building expense should be added before deciding whether the net return warrants the risk?
 
The first missing number I’d want is the service charge, including whether major works could lead to additional demands. Also clarify what insurance is included and what remains yours.

Is £2,277 the rent for the whole property, or an estimate assembled from five room rents? That changes management, turnover, utilities and potentially council-tax assumptions considerably.
 
Good point. I treated £2,277 as a single headline rent figure without confirming exactly how it was constructed. I’ll ask whether it assumes one tenancy or room-by-room letting, and who pays utilities and council tax. I also need the current service charge and any planned major building work before replying. Those omissions could make my existing vacancy and maintenance allowances look far too optimistic.
 
The practical constraint is the small amount left after operating costs, regardless of how the purchase is financed. Regulation matters, but at 3.5% gross the service charge, insurance, repairs and even one longer vacancy could be the more immediate problem. Paying cash removes interest; it does not improve the property’s underlying income.

I would pause until the £2,277 is explained. If it is one tenancy, model the corresponding turnover and management burden. If it comes from five room rents, rebuild the figures with the extra costs that arrangement creates. Only then compare the likely net cash income with other uses of £780,000 that require a similar level of effort and risk.
 
Ask for a full annual cost schedule and run three cases: one tenancy, room-by-room letting, and a stressed case with longer vacancy plus a major repair. Keep financing separate so you can see whether the property itself works before debt.

If the seller or agent cannot explain how £2,277 was derived, I would not negotiate from the 3.5% headline. I’d rebuild the rent and costs first, then set a maximum price from the resulting net income.
 
Back
Top