Manchester 2-bed at £1.1m and £4,266/month rent — does 4.7% gross stack up?

bakesAndView

Developer
Established
I’m assessing a Manchester 2-bed apartment priced at £1,100,000, with expected rent of £4,266 per month. That is £51,192 annually, so the headline gross yield is about 4.7%.

The building appears sound, but the broker’s calculation excludes much of the owner’s real expenditure. My model allows for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a reserve for one larger repair. Which local or building-related cost am I most likely to be underestimating? I’d also be interested in what net yield others would require to justify the risks at this price.
 
For an apartment, I’d focus first on the building charges rather than routine repairs inside the flat. What are the current service charge, insurance arrangements and any planned major works? A large lift, roof or external repair contribution could overwhelm several years of careful maintenance allowances.

Also clarify whether £4,266 is evidenced by comparable completed lettings or is simply the broker’s expectation.
 
One more missing fact: are you buying with cash or finance? At only 4.7% before costs, the result could be very sensitive to borrowing terms. I’d model tenant turnover as more than lost rent too—reletting, cleaning and small works can arrive together. Council tax treatment during empty periods is also worth confirming locally rather than assuming the tenant always covers it.
 
I wouldn’t start by choosing an arbitrary acceptable net yield. First turn every annual cost into pounds and stress the rent downward, then compare the remaining return with what else £1.1m could do. I partly disagree that vacancy is the main threat here: one empty month is visible and easy to model, while recurring building charges and an unexpected major-works bill are less controllable. Ask for several years of charge records, the building’s planned works and evidence supporting the rent before going further.
 
Back
Top