Madrid villa at €400,200 and €2,188/month: does the yield hold up?

noteTheMap

Real estate agent
Founding Member
I’d like the numbers to work without depending on appreciation, but the purchase costs may make that difficult. The Madrid villa has five bedrooms, an asking price of €400,200 and projected rent of €2,188 a month. Twelve months produces the quoted gross yield of about 6.6%.

I have rerun it using eleven months’ rent, then deducted management, normal upkeep and a provision for expensive work. The structure appears sound, although I have not yet settled the figures for insurance, tenant changes and the full cost of buying. Which of those tends to do the most damage in practice? I also need to verify whether the rent is for one household or separate rooms, and whether it is supported by a proposed tenancy rather than listings.
 
Your eleven-month rent is €24,068, so the return is already about 6% before management, maintenance, insurance, property tax and purchase costs. I would calculate yield against the total cash committed, not just €400,200. On that basis, 6.6% is more of a marketing figure than a decision figure.
 
Is the €2,188 based on renting the villa to one household, or adding up expected room rents? A 5-bed property can have very different turnover, management and wear depending on that answer. I’d also want to know whether the rent estimate comes from an actual proposed tenancy or merely comparable listings. That missing detail matters more than fine-tuning the vacancy percentage.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat eleven months as conservative enough. One change of tenants can combine an empty period with cleaning, repairs and reletting costs. On the other hand, adding a large annual repair reserve and a full month’s vacancy could double-count some risks. Keep recurring costs separate from irregular capital work so you can see what is really driving the result.
 
Run three versions: twelve months with normal costs, eleven months plus turnover costs, and a stressed case with lower rent and a significant repair in the same year. Include purchase expenses in the cash invested, then test any financing at a higher cost than initially expected. I’d also obtain property-specific figures for insurance and property tax rather than using broad Madrid assumptions. There isn’t one universally adequate net yield; compare the stressed cash flow with the return you require for an illiquid, management-heavy asset.
 
Back
Top