Madrid apartment: pricing the risk of major exterior works

writesAndBook

Landlord
Established
I’m considering a 35 m² apartment in Madrid, but the community reserve looks thin and major exterior work is under discussion. Nothing has been approved yet, although owners have mentioned figures as high as €66,240. I’m trying to decide whether to proceed, renegotiate or walk away.

Besides meeting minutes, insurance, reserve balances and the maintenance plan, what would distinguish normal forward planning from a likely large assessment? I’d particularly like to understand the trade-off between taking the risk now and facing resale problems later.
 
First establish what the €66,240 represents: the entire project, one owner’s possible contribution, or an early estimate with no defined scope. Those are completely different risks. I’d want the proposed work specification, any professional condition report, itemised quotations, the community’s allocation method and evidence of the actual reserve balance—not just the budgeted figure.
 
How far back do the minutes go, and does the same exterior issue keep reappearing? Repeated postponement would concern me more than one recent discussion. Also look for unpaid community fees, prior emergency repairs and whether owners have already rejected cheaper preventive work. A building can show money in reserve while still having weak collection or several competing maintenance needs.
 
If you assume the policy will pay and it does not, the €66,240 risk remains with the owners. Insurance normally responds to specified events, while ageing materials and deferred upkeep may fall outside that protection, so ask what exact cause and damage the policy covers.

Next establish why the exterior work is being discussed: water penetration, structural concerns, ordinary deterioration or an energy-efficiency project. That answer should determine the urgency, the useful insurance questions and how difficult the issue may be to explain when the 35 m² apartment is eventually resold.
 
For a 35 m² flat, don’t assume your contribution would simply be the project cost divided by apartment count or allocated by floor area. Confirm the flat’s participation share and read the community rules for how this type of expense is distributed. A small unit can still carry an uncomfortable share, especially if commercial premises or other owners are treated differently.
 
Another question is whether you plan to occupy it or rent it. Tenant demand may soften the carrying cost, but it does not remove vacancy risk, disruption from scaffolding or the management workload during works. If buying as a rental, I would model several months of weaker income separately from the assessment itself rather than blending everything into one optimistic yield.
 
I disagree that a thin reserve is automatically a reason to walk. Sometimes it is simply reflected in the purchase price, provided the building’s problem is understood and the owners can fund it. I’d calculate your share using the highest credible scope currently documented, add room for uncertainty, then negotiate from that figure. If the seller will not recognise any of the risk, that tells you something.
 
The resale angle may be more important than the immediate bill. If you need to sell while approval, financing or disruptive works remain unresolved, buyers may make the same conservative assumptions you are making now. On the other hand, completed exterior and energy work could make the apartment easier to sell and cheaper to run. The timetable matters almost as much as cost.
 
I’d put three numbers on paper: your contribution if the current estimate is accurate, a higher case if the scope expands, and the cash you could access without relying on rent or a quick resale. Compare those with the discount from similar apartments in buildings without an unresolved project. If the deal only works in the lowest case, the risk is probably being underpriced.
 
Before deciding, send one written list of questions to the seller or administrator: what exactly does €66,240 cover, who prepared it, what alternatives were considered, how would your unit’s share be calculated, what balance is actually available, and when is the next decision expected? Written answers plus the recent minutes should reveal whether this is vague discussion or a project moving toward approval.
 
Back
Top