Los Angeles rental: $815,000 purchase and $4,692/month rent — sanity check

mapsAndLane

Property investor
I have checked the basic operating numbers. What remains unclear is whether the expense assumptions are realistic for this address.

The property is a 3-bed Los Angeles villa priced at $815,000, with projected rent of $4,692 a month. That gives a gross figure of about 6.9%, with no appreciation included in my base case. The apparent condition is sound, but that does not settle the investment case: insurance, tenant turnover and management charges could reduce the return before financing is considered.

I am keeping net yield before debt separate from cash flow after debt. Would you obtain address-specific tax and insurance estimates first, or focus on turnover and make-ready costs? I would also be interested in what net return others would require before accepting the risks of this deal.
 
I would scrutinize property tax and insurance first. Don’t rely on the seller’s existing tax bill or a generic insurance estimate; obtain figures based on your purchase and the exact address. Also separate unlevered net yield from cash flow after financing. A viable property can still be a poor leveraged deal if the borrowing cost consumes most of the operating income.
 
That distinction helps. I’ve been treating net yield before debt and cash flow after debt as separate outputs, but the 6.9% headline number makes the deal look stronger than either one. I’ll replace the current tax and insurance assumptions with address-specific estimates. For turnover, would you model it as extra vacancy, a separate make-ready cost, or both?
 
Both. Vacancy captures the missing rent; it doesn’t capture cleaning, repairs, advertising or the management work around a change of tenant. I’d also avoid treating the larger repair reserve as a single generic line. Roof, heating/cooling, plumbing and exterior work have different timing, so the inspection should inform the reserve rather than the purchase price alone.
 
I disagree slightly with focusing on a target net yield at this stage. The same yield can hide very different risks. A recently inspected villa with realistic expenses is not equivalent to one reaching the number only because maintenance is deferred. First calculate annual rent of $56,304, deduct every operating cost without debt, and then stress the financing separately. The acceptable return follows from what remains and how much cash you must commit.
 
Before deciding, run three cases: expected rent, a period of vacancy plus turnover work, and a larger repair occurring while financing payments continue. Get an actual insurance quote, verify the likely property-tax amount after purchase, and ask the manager what is included in their fee versus charged separately. If the deal only works in the first case, the gross yield is doing more persuasive work than the property.
 
Back
Top