Los Angeles property Q&A: common transaction surprises

porch.sharp

Real estate agent
I work around the Los Angeles market and keep seeing the same misunderstanding: buyers treat a financing estimate as if it settles the purchase budget, negotiation room and closing timeline. In reality, those parts depend on different information and different professionals.

I’m opening this as a practical Q&A on pricing evidence, negotiation limits, service charges, financing timing, document responsibility and potential conflicts between referred professionals. Please include your jurisdiction and property type. I’ll separate general transaction experience from anything that requires regulated legal, tax or lending advice, and local comparisons are welcome.
 
For a Los Angeles condo, what information should a buyer obtain before deciding whether the asking price is supportable? Comparable sales seem useful, but they may not reveal building charges or upcoming costs. I’d also like to know who is normally expected to gather the relevant building documents, rather than everyone assuming someone else has them.
 
I’d separate that into two decisions. Comparable properties can help frame the price discussion, while building documents and recurring charges affect whether the buyer can carry the property. Neither automatically answers the other.

Before negotiating, ask which comparable sales were chosen and why, what charges are already known, what remains unconfirmed, and who is responsible for obtaining each missing document. The lender may also need property-specific material, so this should happen before the financing timeline becomes tight.
 
I agree with separating price from affordability, but not with waiting for every document before discussing terms. In a competitive Los Angeles transaction, a buyer may have to make an offer while some information is still outstanding. The important caveat is that negotiation limits and later options depend on the contract and jurisdiction. A buyer should identify those uncertainties explicitly instead of assuming missing information guarantees an extension or a way out.
 
There is also a conflict point that often gets overlooked. If one participant refers the buyer to a lender, inspector or another paid professional, the buyer can ask what relationship exists, whether anyone receives compensation, and whether alternatives are available. That does not prove a conflict, but it makes the arrangement clearer. I’d want those answers in writing alongside a list showing who is obtaining each document and by when.
 
So the practical order seems to be: define the property and jurisdiction, test the price against relevant evidence, list known and unknown charges, assign responsibility for outstanding documents, and confirm what the lender needs with enough time to respond. Then record any referral relationships and ask the appropriate local professional how the contract treats unresolved items. That still allows an early offer, as Gabriel suggests, without pretending every uncertainty has disappeared.
 
Back
Top