Forty-five days is the figure making me pause. In my Los Angeles sample, properties priced from $692,000 to $1,038,000 are often still advertised at that point, while renovated examples seem to disappear sooner.
I first thought vacancy might explain the difference, but an empty property could reflect either seller urgency or simple preparation for sale. Buyer financing, the timing and size of price cuts, and a rise in new-listing volume could produce a similar pattern.
For anyone watching this at street level, what would you check first? I am thinking of separating the properties by neighbourhood, condition, original price, reduction date and whether they eventually sold, rather than treating every longer listing as an opportunity or a warning.
I first thought vacancy might explain the difference, but an empty property could reflect either seller urgency or simple preparation for sale. Buyer financing, the timing and size of price cuts, and a rise in new-listing volume could produce a similar pattern.
For anyone watching this at street level, what would you check first? I am thinking of separating the properties by neighbourhood, condition, original price, reduction date and whether they eventually sold, rather than treating every longer listing as an opportunity or a warning.