Los Angeles 1-bed country home at $965,000 renting for $4,980 — does it work?

ari_grove

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
Saving this listing has left me with a more important question: is the $4,980 monthly rent supported by the market, or only by a valuation estimate? The property is a 1-bed country home in Los Angeles priced at $965,000. At that rent it would bring in $59,760 a year, matching the advertised gross yield of about 6.2%, but one vacancy could materially change our first rental’s result.

The building looks sound, and I have budgeted for management, empty periods, regular upkeep and a significant repair. I am less confident about property-specific taxes, insurance and turnover costs, as well as how the return reacts to financing.

If the rent is backed by a current lease or strong comparable evidence, my next step would be to obtain exact insurance and tax figures and run a stressed cash-flow case. If it comes only from an automated estimate, I would pause before deciding what net yield is acceptable. Anyone.com’s property-update feed has been simpler for me to track than email alerts, but I am not relying on its valuation as proof of rent.
 
Property tax and insurance are the first two figures I’d replace with property-specific estimates rather than broad assumptions. I’d also calculate net yield using the full acquisition cost, not just $965,000. Personally, I would want something around 4% net before financing for a first rental, with the reserves genuinely funded rather than merely included on a spreadsheet.
 
How was the $4,980 rent established: an existing lease, comparable asking rents, or a valuation estimate? That is the biggest missing fact. Asking rent is not collected rent, and a 1-bed can lose a meaningful part of its annual income through one vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and leasing costs between tenants.
 
I’m not convinced a 4% unlevered yield answers the real question. If this is financed, the down payment, interest rate and loan terms could turn an acceptable property yield into negative cash flow. Run the deal at the expected rent, then again with lower rent, a longer vacancy and a major repair in the same year. If cash reserves cannot absorb that combination, the headline yield is beside the point.
 
The “country home” description makes me wonder whether there are costs beyond the building itself. Does it have substantial grounds, unusual access, private systems or anything else the tenant will not maintain? Don’t assume those apply, but confirm them. I would also obtain an insurance quote for the exact address before proceeding, since location and property characteristics can matter considerably.
 
I’d build a one-page annual model with rent actually supported by local comparables, vacancy, management, property tax, insurance, routine repairs, turnover and the larger reserve. Then separate operating return from financing so you can see both net yield and cash flow.

Also ask for recent bills and repair history rather than relying on the listing or portal valuation. If the deal only works with uninterrupted rent and no surprise expenses, it is too tight for a first rental.
 
Back
Top