London student housing at £1,053,000: what belongs in the legal and tax budget?

jade_details

Property investor
Established
I want a realistic total budget for the £1,053,000 London student-housing purchase, but the initial acquisition costs are only the clear part so far. I have allowed for transfer tax, conveyancing and registration, with any notary charge to be confirmed rather than assumed.

The harder questions concern the ownership structure and what continues after completion. I plan to ask England-based advisers about letting or ownership restrictions, annual property and building charges, tax treatment on a later sale, residence status and inheritance planning. What documents and assumptions should I ask them to verify, particularly if “student housing” could mean anything from one leasehold unit to an operating building?
 
First, make the estimate England-specific rather than simply UK-specific, since the property is in London. I would also ask why a notary cost has been included; it should identify the document or transaction step requiring it rather than appearing as a generic line.

Have the adviser state every assumption behind the transfer-tax figure: who is buying, residence position, ownership vehicle and whether the acquisition is treated as one dwelling, multiple accommodation units or something else.
 
What does “student housing” mean here: one leasehold student unit, several units, or an entire operating building? Is it already occupied or tied to a management arrangement? At £1,053,000 those details could change both the legal work and which ongoing costs matter. Also, are you considering personal ownership, a company, or still comparing the two?
 
I agree those facts matter, but I wouldn’t let the ownership-structure discussion overshadow the recurring cash outflow. Ask for the lease or title information, current service-charge budget, reserve or sinking-fund position, planned major works, insurance recharges and responsibility for utilities and local property charges. A low-looking legal estimate will not help if substantial annual obligations sit elsewhere.
 
Fair point, noora11. I’d split the worksheet into acquisition costs and ongoing/exit exposure. Under the second heading, ask advisers to model the same facts for a sale, a change in residence and death or inheritance. That should expose whether the proposed ownership route merely looks cheaper at completion while creating complications later. Get the comparison in writing with its assumptions.
 
Also ask what the quoted legal fee actually includes. Searches, registration-related payments, company or lender work, lease enquiries and post-completion administration can be listed separately rather than inside the headline fee. If notary costs appear, ask which document needs notarising and whether that cost is payable in the UK or connected to paperwork from another country.
 
One more practical request: ask for a single responsibility schedule showing each charge, who calculates it, when it becomes payable and whether the amount is fixed or estimated. Add title or lease restrictions on student occupation, subletting, assignment and choice of manager. Then have the conveyancer and tax adviser identify which questions fall outside their own scope, especially residency, capital gains and inheritance planning.
 
Back
Top