London student housing: are service charges driving the price spread?

river.common

Homeowner
I’m comparing London student housing priced from £761,300 to £1,142,000. The snapshot shows +8.9% movement and roughly 78 days on market, although negotiated discounts seem to change sharply with property condition. My working view is that service charges explain more of the spread than headline demand. Does that hold up when compared with recent completed sales, withdrawn listings and the timing of price cuts? Please specify the neighbourhood and whether the property is purpose-built student accommodation or another type.
 
For purpose-built student accommodation in Bloomsbury, I would separate the annual service charge from the condition issue rather than assume one explains the other. A dated unit with a high charge has two objections, but buyers may price each differently. Are your figures based on completed prices or current asking prices? That distinction could completely change the apparent discount.
 
What period does the +8.9% cover, and is it a change in asking prices, achieved prices or listing volume? I’d also want to know whether the 78 days excludes properties that were withdrawn and later relisted. Otherwise the market may look faster than it really is.
 
I’m not convinced service charges are necessarily the main driver. Condition may also affect buyer financing, while a large reduction can reveal seller motivation rather than weak demand. I’d test Stratford purpose-built student housing separately from Bloomsbury rather than treating London as one market. Match genuinely comparable completed sales, record the first price-cut date, and flag withdrawals; then compare charge levels only within similar buildings and condition bands.
 
Back
Top