London purchase: 3.41% fixed for two years on £538,200 — which comparison matters?

I have a 3.41% quote on a two-year fix for a London property purchase around £538,200. The advertised rate was lower, but the arrangement fee and our loan-to-value tier changed the real comparison.

Should I compare lenders using APR, interest paid during the fixed period, or total cash outlay including fees? We may move before the two years are up, so I am also checking early-repayment terms and whether the mortgage is portable. I may be overcomplicating this, but the cheapest headline rate no longer looks obviously cheapest.
 
For a likely two-year holding period, I would compare interest during those two years, all lender fees, and the projected mortgage balance at the end. Keep monthly payments as a separate affordability test, because part of each payment reduces the balance rather than being a financing cost. Then add any early-repayment charge that could apply on your realistic moving date.
 
What are the arrangement fee, loan amount and current LTV tier? Those missing figures could easily change which offer wins. Also, does “may move” mean within a few months or near the end of the fix? I would run at least two dates rather than treating early repayment as a vague possibility.
 
I would not focus only on the fixed-period cost. That works if you can refinance after two years on acceptable terms, but it hides rate-reset risk and assumes your circumstances and property still fit the next lender. Portability also needs careful reading: check what happens if the new property costs more or less, and whether moving triggers a fresh affordability decision or other conditions.
 
A simple comparison table should settle it: upfront fees, monthly payment, interest over 24 months, balance after 24 months, and cost if you move on each plausible date. Add a separate scenario for staying beyond the fix using the stated follow-on terms, without assuming a favourable refinance. That should show whether 3.41% is genuinely competitive for your plans rather than merely a good-looking rate.
 
Back
Top