London property Q&A: where transactions commonly lose time or clarity

plantsAndCairn

First-time buyer
Established
I work around the London property market and keep seeing the same problem: buyers and sellers may agree a price and hoped-for date without knowing which parts of the transaction each professional can actually control.

I’m opening a practical Q&A covering pricing evidence, negotiation limits, financing timelines, rental regulation and coordination between advisers. Please include your jurisdiction and property type. I’ll separate personal experience from regulated advice, and local professionals are welcome to explain where their processes differ. Questions about who holds documents or how conflicts are disclosed are also fair game.
 
London, general residential property. If a seller wants a fast completion, how much confidence should a buyer place in the financing timeline given at offer stage? I’m also unclear who should coordinate the overall timetable: the mortgage adviser, agent or conveyancer.
 
To clarify my question, I’m not asking who can promise a date. I mean who should flag that the seller’s requested timing and the buyer’s financing position may not match, before everyone starts treating the date as settled.
 
No single person sees or controls every dependency. The adviser can discuss the financing steps within their scope, while the conveyancer deals with the legal work and the agent communicates between the parties. The buyer still needs to compare what each is saying.

I’d ask for the proposed timetable in writing, identify what assumptions it depends on, and ask which outstanding item is most likely to move it.
 
I’d be cautious about making the mortgage adviser the transaction coordinator. Financing may be only one constraint, and a quick seller does not necessarily mean the rest of the chain or paperwork will move quickly.

There is also a pricing issue: urgency can affect negotiation, but it is not evidence that the property is worth more. Ask separately about comparable pricing evidence and the value, if any, of meeting the preferred timetable.
 
That distinction is important. At offer stage I would treat the date as an objective, not something any one participant can guarantee. Ask the adviser what information the financing estimate assumes, ask the conveyancer what remains unknown on the legal side, and have the agent confirm whether the seller’s date is a preference or a firm negotiating priority.

Also ask each professional who retains key documents and whether any referral or other potential conflict should be disclosed. A general forum answer cannot replace regulated advice based on the buyer’s circumstances.
 
One more practical point: describe the jurisdiction as England rather than just the UK when seeking detailed process advice, since the transaction is in London and processes can differ elsewhere in the UK. Then keep a simple list of dates, dependencies, document holders and the person responsible for the next response. That exposes contradictions without pretending one professional controls everything.
 
Back
Top