Listing agent proposes acting for buyer after early S$274,700 offer

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
We have received an early offer of about S$274,700, and the listing agent says they can also work with the buyer. The speed is appealing, but I do not understand how our negotiating position or confidential information would remain protected.

Before considering this in Singapore, what would you ask for in writing? I am particularly concerned about conflict disclosure, the fee basis, who handles the offer, and what support remains if the sale falls through.
 
I would first ask what “work with the buyer” means. Is the same named salesperson proposing to represent both sides, or would another salesperson be the buyer’s contact? Those are not automatically the same arrangement. Get the roles and fees stated clearly, then independently confirm whether that structure is permitted under the current Singapore rules. A conflict disclosure would not make an otherwise impermissible arrangement acceptable.
 
Also, how firm is this early offer? Before letting speed drive the decision, ask whether it is written, how the buyer has been qualified, and whether any conditions or deadlines are attached. I would want a record of how this offer—and any later offers—will be presented to you. Otherwise you cannot tell whether convenience is narrowing the negotiation.
 
I agree with Joana on clarifying the roles, but I would not reject the setup solely because one agency is involved. The practical issue is whether you still receive undivided advice from your own contact.

Ask for the conflict position, fee basis, response times and fall-through support in writing. If this is part of a broader listing-service decision, confirm the photography scope too. Then compare those answers with appointing separate representation; if the agent stays vague about confidentiality or offer handling, the promised speed is not much of an advantage.
 
Back
Top