Listing agent also wants to represent the buyer on an early Toronto offer

buildTheHarbor

Property manager
We received an early offer of about C$1,924,000 on our Toronto property. The speed is attractive, but the listing agent says they can also work with the buyer. I’m struggling to see how confidential advice and negotiation stay independent in that arrangement.

Before considering it, I want clarity on the conflict disclosure, fee basis, buyer qualification, handling of this and any other offers, and support if the deal falls through. What is legally required in Ontario, as distinct from safeguards you would insist on because of personal risk tolerance?
 
The legal position is provincial rather than one rule for all of Canada, so ask the brokerage to identify the Ontario requirements and provide every disclosure and consent in writing. I would also have your own real-estate lawyer review the arrangement before signing.

Personally, permission and comfort are different things. I’d want a written explanation of what advice the agent can no longer give either side, how confidential information is protected, whether the fee changes, and who the named contact is for each party.
 
I’d separate the quality of the offer from the representation issue. Has the property already been photographed and exposed to buyers, or did this arrive before marketing? An early C$1,924,000 offer may be excellent, but without that context you cannot judge the cost of accepting quickly.

Also ask how the buyer was qualified and what conditions or timelines are attached. Dual representation is not automatically proof of a bad offer, but convenience should not replace price discovery or due diligence.
 
Agreed, although I wouldn’t delay solely to complete photography if the offer itself is strong. The practical move is to send one written list now: buyer qualification, deposit and conditions, offer-handling process, response time, fee calculation, limits on confidential advice, named contacts, and what support continues if the transaction falls through.

Then compare the brokerage’s written answers with independent legal advice. Ontario compliance establishes the minimum; your own tolerance may still lead you to request separate representation for the buyer.
 
Back
Top