Lima villa at PEN 4,088,000 and PEN 26,600/month — does the yield hold up?

rhea_dove

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
PEN 26,600 per month is the figure that determines whether this works. The property is a 4-bed villa in Lima priced at PEN 4,088,000, which gives a gross yield of roughly 7.8% before acquisition costs increase the amount invested.

I have allowed for empty periods, professional management, ordinary upkeep and a separate allowance for a significant repair, and the building looks sound from what is currently visible. I am less sure about insurance, local property costs and the combined expense of preparing and reletting the villa when a tenant leaves. Which assumption deserves the closest verification, and what evidence would you require before accepting the projected rent? I would also be interested in the net return others would need for this level of risk.
 
The gross arithmetic works: PEN 319,200 annual rent divided by PEN 4,088,000 is roughly 7.8%. I’d focus less on a single overlooked bill and more on turnover. One empty period, preparation between tenants and a leasing charge can arrive together. Calculate yield on the full acquisition cost, then run scenarios with one and two months vacant rather than relying on an average percentage.
 
Is PEN 26,600 an achieved rent for this villa, or an asking estimate based on comparable properties? That missing fact matters more than fine-tuning maintenance. I’d also want to know whether it is furnished and what tenant profile the rent assumes. A high-end family tenancy can mean fewer changeovers, but each vacancy may take longer and involve more expensive preparation.
 
I’m not convinced turnover is automatically the biggest weakness. On a villa, irregular exterior, plumbing, electrical or security-related work can overwhelm a routine annual maintenance allowance even with stable tenants. Ask for actual invoices and tax, insurance and utility records where available. Separate recurring operating costs from capital replacements; otherwise the quoted “net yield” can look better simply because major work sits outside it.
 
Fair caveat, kenjid73. I’d model both rather than choose one: a turnover reserve based on a full reletting event, plus a separate capital reserve. Omar’s “one larger repair” may be too vague unless it is tied to likely components and realistic costs. The other question is management scope—does the percentage cover inspections, collection and tenant changes, or are some charged separately?
 
Financing also changes the decision even though it does not change the property’s unlevered yield. Stress the loan payment against a lower rent, vacancy and a major repair occurring in the same year. If that creates a cash call you would dislike, the deal is too tight regardless of the 7.8% headline figure. If buying in cash, compare the resulting net income with simpler alternatives and the loss of liquidity.
 
For practical next steps, I’d request a written breakdown of the PEN 26,600 rent assumption, recent operating expenses, municipal property charges, insurance quotations and management terms. Then build three columns: expected, weak and severe. Use the all-in purchase amount in every yield calculation. The acceptable net yield is personal, but it should reflect concentration in one property, uncertain resale timing and hands-on risk.
 
One more caveat: don’t double-count conservatism. If the rent estimate already assumes periodic vacancy, adding a full vacancy allowance on top may understate the deal; equally, a management quote may already include some reletting work. Get each assumption stated clearly and mark who pays each cost under the intended lease. I wouldn’t set a target net yield until the PEN 26,600 figure and total acquisition cost are verified.
 
Back
Top