Lima first-time buyer: is PEN 78,750 enough cash after closing?

RueDrew

First-time buyer
Established
PEN 78,750 looks like a reasonable buffer at first glance. My concern is how quickly it could shrink after buying a 4-bed duplex in Lima for about PEN 975,000.

I’m a first-time buyer, and the inspection report contains a long list of issues even though the property appears broadly sound. I need to separate urgent defects from work that can wait, particularly while I investigate the flood-risk point.

How much of the remaining money would you keep completely untouched, and how much would you assign to repairs and the move? Furniture can be delayed, but moving expenses, service charges, the insurance excess and the first loan payment cannot. I would prefer a lower purchase budget if the alternative is having no room for an unexpected repair.
 
I would keep the largest portion untouched as the household emergency fund, then make separate pots for known repairs, moving and the first mortgage payment. Furniture would come last; a 4-bed place does not need to be fully furnished on day one. PEN 78,750 sounds workable only if the inspection is mainly listing maintenance rather than urgent structural, electrical or water-related work.
 
One missing detail: does your closing-cost estimate include every payment due around handover, or only the transaction costs? Cash can disappear quickly if the first service charge, insurance payment, moving costs and mortgage debit all arrive together. I would map the first three months by date rather than treating PEN 78,750 as one available lump.
 
I would be more cautious than Felix. An emergency fund should cover an unexpected loss of income or surprise failure, not repairs already identified by the inspection. Price the urgent findings separately before deciding the buffer is enough.

Also, is the duplex part of a building with shared maintenance obligations? If so, ask what the service charges cover and whether any major shared work is anticipated. That could matter more than furniture.
 
The report needs sorting into four groups: safety or active damage, items likely to worsen, routine maintenance, and cosmetic observations. Get costs for the first two groups and ignore the frightening page count. Inspectors often record many small defects because that is the purpose of the report.

For the flood point, find out whether it concerns the specific property, access to it, or just a wider mapped area. Those are different practical risks.
 
I would also ask the insurer exactly what is covered and what excess would apply to the flood-related concern. Do not assume that merely obtaining insurance settles the question. Consider ground-level rooms, storage, parking, drainage and whether access could be affected, then decide whether the risk is acceptable rather than trying to solve it only with a larger cash buffer.
 
A simple approach is to reserve the first mortgage payment and near-term service charges immediately, obtain firm estimates for urgent inspection items, set aside moving money, and leave the rest untouched. Buy only essential furniture at first.

If those committed amounts leave an emergency fund that feels thin, the answer is not a more creative split. It is a lower offer, a cheaper property or more time saving.
 
Agreed on delaying furniture, but I would not automatically walk away because the report is long. Use the findings to ask for clarification, quotes and, where justified, a price adjustment. The decision point is whether PEN 78,750 remains a genuine reserve after urgent work and the first few ownership bills—not whether that number looks comfortable before they are deducted.
 
Back
Top