Kuala Lumpur listings: the headline and the street-level picture ...thoughts? (4 bed)

nia.winter

Property investor
Established
Trying to sense-check my Kuala Lumpur notes before deciding whether this bracket deserves a closer look. I’m seeing mostly four-bedroom apartments asking MYR 1,147,000 to MYR 1,720,000, with a typical listing in my sample visible for 56 days.

My working theory is that maintenance and general condition explain much of the difference between quick sales and stale stock. Does that fit what others are seeing, or are seller motivation, financing and neighbourhood boundaries more important? Recent completed sales and withdrawn listings would be especially useful comparisons.
 
I wouldn’t treat 56 days as meaningful until you separate genuinely new listings from withdrawn and relisted units. The same apartment can look fresh again without the underlying stock changing. I’d compare each listing’s first appearance, any price cuts and final disappearance, then distinguish a completed sale from a withdrawal wherever possible.
 
How tightly have you defined Kuala Lumpur and “four bedroom”? Two apartments at similar asking prices may appeal to very different buyers because of the exact neighbourhood, building and usable layout. Also, are maintenance charges included in your maintenance theory, or do you mean the physical condition of the unit and common areas?
 
Condition matters, but I disagree that it necessarily explains most of the gap. Seller motivation can dominate: one owner prices for a timely deal, while another is content to wait. Buyer financing can also turn an apparently quick agreement into a failed or delayed transaction. Asking-price history alone won’t reveal either issue.
 
A useful next step would be a small comparison table: first-listed date, original and current asking price, exact neighbourhood, building, condition, maintenance charges if disclosed, and whether the unit sold, disappeared or was relisted. Keep completed sales separate from listings; otherwise you’re comparing achieved prices with seller expectations.
 
That helps. My 56-day figure currently uses the visible listing period, so Luis is right that relisting could distort it. I also bundled physical condition, common-area upkeep and ongoing charges under “maintenance,” which is probably too broad.

I’ll split those out and tighten the neighbourhood boundaries. I’ll also stop treating a vanished listing as a sale unless there is evidence of a completed transaction.
 
Once you do that, look at when price cuts happen rather than just whether they happen. An early reduction may signal a motivated seller correcting an ambitious launch price; a late one may simply follow weeks of weak interest. No reduction at all could mean confidence, indifference or a listing that is no longer actively pursued, so context still matters.
 
And track new-listing volume alongside withdrawals. If many similar units enter the market while older ones disappear, the headline inventory can look stable even though sellers are cycling through. Your revised categories should make the street-level picture clearer, but I’d still avoid one explanation for the whole MYR 1,147,000–1,720,000 range; building, layout, condition and motivation can pull in different directions.
 
Back
Top