Keeping COP 131.2m in reserve after buying a Bogotá duplex

pebble.slow

Homeowner
If I leave too little cash after completion, an ordinary repair could force me to borrow or raid money meant for monthly expenses. I’m looking at a four-bedroom duplex in Bogotá priced at about COP 4,202,000,000. Once the deposit and expected purchase costs are covered, the estimated balance would be COP 131,200,000, subject to whatever the inspection reveals.

My instinct is to protect an emergency reserve first, then cover the move and any work that cannot safely wait. Furniture can be bought room by room. I also need to leave room for the insurance excess and costs falling due soon after completion. What would be a sensible way to set the untouchable reserve without allocating repair money before the inspection?
 
I would fund the emergency reserve first and treat it as untouchable. Then reserve money for moving and only the inspection items that affect habitability or could become more expensive if delayed. Furniture would come last; four bedrooms do not all need to be furnished immediately. Also allow for the first mortgage payment, service charges and the insurance excess before deciding what is genuinely spare.
 
The deposit and estimated closing costs seem to be included, but the dates of the next large outgoings are still unclear. I would check when the initial mortgage instalment and any building charges must be paid, and whether the insurance excess has been reserved.

I’m not persuaded by assigning percentages before the inspection. A request to repaint a room is easy to postpone; a plumbing leak is not. A workable compromise is to ring-fence the emergency fund now, keep the rest unallocated, and make the repairs-versus-furniture decision once the report and payment calendar are available.
 
That is the missing information. As a temporary framework—not a final budget—I might put 60% toward emergencies, 20% toward urgent inspection findings, 10% toward moving and 10% toward basic furniture. Once the payment dates and inspection results are known, the percentages can change. I would not reduce the emergency portion merely to finish rooms faster.
 
I’m not convinced a percentage split is enough here. COP 131,200,000 is only a small fraction of a COP 4,202,000,000 purchase, so one significant finding could consume the repairs allocation quickly. If the inspection is anything beyond routine, buying below the maximum may be the more comfortable answer. Moving can be capped and furniture delayed, but necessary building work cannot always wait.
 
Before committing, make a dated cash-flow list covering the first few months: mortgage payment, service charges, insurance and its excess, moving quotes, and only essential furniture. Put each inspection item into “now,” “within a year,” or “optional,” then seek cost estimates for the first two groups. Whatever remains after those known items is the real emergency buffer. If that figure feels uncomfortable, set a lower purchase-price ceiling before negotiating.
 
Back
Top