Selling now would keep things simple, but it could mean giving up a long-term Auckland hold. Keeping the three-bedroom would avoid that final decision, yet I would be relying on someone local to deal with tenants and repairs while I am elsewhere.
The management quotes are around 12%, with separate charges for items such as finding tenants and arranging work. That leaves very little from an ordinary month. A single vacancy or sizeable repair could turn the whole year negative.
How would you build the keep-versus-sell calculation from here? I am thinking about rates and other property-tax costs, insurance, vacancy, tenant turnover, financing and a proper maintenance reserve. It would also help to separate obligations that still fall on a New Zealand landlord from the amount of risk someone is personally willing to carry.
The management quotes are around 12%, with separate charges for items such as finding tenants and arranging work. That leaves very little from an ordinary month. A single vacancy or sizeable repair could turn the whole year negative.
How would you build the keep-versus-sell calculation from here? I am thinking about rates and other property-tax costs, insurance, vacancy, tenant turnover, financing and a proper maintenance reserve. It would also help to separate obligations that still fall on a New Zealand landlord from the amount of risk someone is personally willing to carry.