Keep or sell a Singapore rental when management takes 9%?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
Remote ownership may leave almost no margin for error. If I leave Singapore, my specific concern is who deals with a tenant problem or urgent repair when I cannot attend promptly.

The management quotes are around 9% of rent, with letting and maintenance-coordination charges on top. That would reduce an already narrow surplus, although managing from a distance without proper cover is not a realistic alternative.

Rather than choose immediately between keeping and selling, I am considering pricing a normal tenancy year and a turnover year separately. I will include vacancy, reserves, insurance, property tax and possible financing changes. What should I confirm in the manager’s scope and fee schedule before deciding whether the arrangement is workable?
 
I would not decide from the 9% headline alone. Compare the full annual cost of holding remotely with the full cost and consequences of selling. A manager may look expensive, but an unattended repair or slow response during a tenancy can also be expensive.

Does the quote define what the percentage covers, and are letting and coordination fees fixed amounts or charged each time?
 
The missing fact is how narrow the surplus already is before management. Is financing the main expense, and could its cost change? Also, when does the current tenancy end? A turnover soon after you leave could combine vacancy, letting costs and maintenance in the same period, which is very different from inheriting a stable tenancy with time left.
 
I would challenge the idea that management is erasing the cash flow. If paying someone to perform work you can no longer do makes the surplus disappear, the property may already have weak cash flow. Self-management was effectively contributing unpaid labour and availability.

That does not automatically mean sell, but I would be uncomfortable keeping it solely because the spreadsheet works only when those services are valued at zero.
 
That is fair, although zero monthly surplus is not necessarily the whole investment result. Financing may include principal repayment, and the owner may have non-cash reasons to retain the property. I still would not assume appreciation will rescue poor holding economics.

I would run at least a normal year, a tenant-turnover year and a higher-financing-cost year. If one ordinary vacancy or repair creates a funding problem, remote ownership looks much less attractive.
 
Ask each manager for an itemised example covering a full tenancy cycle rather than comparing percentages. Clarify tenant placement, renewals, inspections, emergency handling, maintenance approval limits and whether any extra charge applies when contractors are coordinated. Also confirm whether your insurance arrangements remain suitable once you live abroad. The wording and jurisdiction matter, so the insurer or an appropriate Singapore adviser should answer that point.
 
There may be a middle option worth exploring: pay for leasing and specific tasks without buying full ongoing management, provided you can arrange a reliable local contact and respond remotely. That reduces the regular fee but leaves more responsibility with you.

Given your concern about response times, though, a partial arrangement is only useful if it clearly states who handles urgent tenant and maintenance matters when you are unavailable.
 
One addition to my earlier point: compare choices over more than one smooth month. Build a 12- to 24-month cash schedule with management, vacancy allowance, likely turnover costs, maintenance reserves, insurance, property tax and financing. Then compare the cash required to keep it with what selling would free up after applicable costs and obligations. That frames the decision as capital allocation rather than simply whether 9% feels high.
 
I would make the manager quotes comparable first, then decide based on your tolerance for negative months. A nearly cash-neutral property can still be manageable if you deliberately keep a reserve and value retaining it. It is a poor remote holding if every vacancy or repair forces you to add money unexpectedly.

Before selling, also establish the Singapore tax, financing and transaction implications for your circumstances rather than assuming the sale proceeds equal the market value. If the conservative hold case still needs frequent support and you have no strong reason to retain the property, selling is probably the cleaner choice.
 
Back
Top