Keep €34,040 in reserve or choose a cheaper Dublin duplex?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I have estimated the deposit and closing expenses on a €542,800 one-bedroom duplex, but I am less certain about what happens immediately afterwards. On my current figures, about €34,040 would remain.

That money would need to cover an emergency buffer, the move, the first mortgage payment, essential furniture and any early repair findings. I have not yet worked out how service charges, an insurance excess or possible shared works should affect the reserve. How would you prioritise these without treating furniture and urgent property problems as equally important? I am willing to reduce the purchase budget if the remaining cushion is too thin.
 
I’d work backwards rather than split it evenly. First protect an emergency fund based on your essential monthly outgoings. Then allow for the move, the first mortgage payment and any payment overlap. Keep a separate property reserve for urgent inspection findings, and buy only essential furniture initially. Sofas and matching rooms can wait; a leak or failed appliance cannot.
 
What are the service charge and insurance excess, and is either already included in your estimate? For a duplex, I’d also want to know whether the management company has mentioned upcoming shared works. Those figures could change how comfortable €34,040 really is.
 
I’d challenge one assumption: buying below your maximum does not automatically make the safer property. A cheaper place needing substantial work could consume more cash than one closer to your limit in better condition.

The inspection needs to separate urgent defects from cosmetic or longer-term items. Until you have that distinction, I wouldn’t assign a large furniture budget.
 
A practical way to handle this is to create five lines now: untouchable emergency savings; closing and moving contingency; known first-year property work; essential furniture or appliances; and optional furniture. Leave the last line at zero until the inspection arrives.

Once you have the report, get prices for anything described as urgent rather than treating every observation as an immediate repair. Add the annual service charge, insurance excess and likely monthly housing costs to the sheet as well. The useful test is not just whether €34,040 survives completion, but whether your normal monthly income can rebuild the amounts you spend.
 
Also confirm the payment calendar rather than assuming there will be a quiet month after closing. Knowing when the first mortgage payment, service charge and insurance costs fall may matter as much as their totals, particularly alongside moving expenses.
 
Back
Top