June 2026: are Montreal detached homes around C$1.65m starting to shift?

FriendlyLens

Property investor
Established
If I read a routine difference in property condition as a wider shift, I could draw the wrong conclusion about Montreal pricing. My June 2026 sample covers detached homes from C$1,318,000 to C$1,976,000, with C$1,647,000 near the centre and current marketing time around 21 days.

The listings needing substantial work appear to require a very different total commitment from renovated homes, so the monthly headline may be masking the condition mix. To test that, should I first match completed sales by neighbourhood and condition, then look at reductions and withdrawals? New-listing volume might add context, but it seems less useful unless seller motivation and relisted stock can be separated.
 
My first reading is ordinary property-level variation. Twenty-one days on its own says little when condition can create a large difference in the buyer’s total commitment. I’d start with recent completed sales in the same neighbourhoods, then compare original asking prices, final prices and time listed. Active listings only show what sellers hope to achieve.
 
How tightly did you draw the neighbourhood boundaries? That price range can capture homes that compete for very different buyers even though they are all detached and in Montreal. I’d also separate renovated properties from those needing major work. Otherwise the apparent importance of reserves may simply be a condition mix rather than a change over time.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss an early shift yet. Completed sales are backward-looking, while rising new-listing volume or more withdrawals can show that sellers and buyers are missing each other now. Price-cut timing would help: reductions after a normal marketing attempt are different from quick corrections to an ambitious initial ask. Buyer financing may also matter more at this price level than the average suggests.
 
Seller motivation is another missing piece. A vacant or time-sensitive property may be reduced quickly, while an owner with no deadline can leave an aspirational price in place or withdraw it. I’d make a simple table for each home: neighbourhood, condition, original and current price, days marketed, reduction date, withdrawn or sold status, and any obvious work required. Then compare like with like rather than treating the C$1,318,000–C$1,976,000 band as one market.
 
That helps. My current group is probably too broad on neighbourhood and condition, so the 21-day figure may be hiding different submarkets. I’ll recut it into tighter areas, separate move-in-ready homes from those needing substantial work, and track new listings, cuts, withdrawals and completed sales separately. If the pattern remains after that—and cuts or withdrawals cluster rather than appearing randomly—I’d be more comfortable calling it an early change.
 
Back
Top